Manitowoc Ice Machine

Old 04-03-05, 05:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Manitowoc Ice Machine

The ice maker on the 11th floor is getting under my skin,
it runs well for 2 days, when I check it on the 3rd day or so it's not running and there is no ice in the bin below, I cleaned all the parts, changed out the probe and set it just like the others are, took the dump valve apart and cleaned it also, when ruuning it goes through the harvest with flying colors,
I know there are a few good pros here, any idea's.
My boss told me to call Manitowoc and ask them if I was tired messing with it, I said hell no this machine is mine and I will figure it out or I will change my name from, Hilton tech to Ramada Inn tech
I have a cool boss and understands that I have exp. dealing with a\c's but I told him up front that I never opened an Ice machine before but was willing to learn them.

Hilton Tech In Need

P.S...if they were as simple as an a\c unit

Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-05, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 13 Posts
hiltontech,

I'm really sorry but you came to the wrong place for commercial equipment advice.
I work on these units and unless you have a good basic understanding of refrigeration they are not a trial and error kind of machine to fix.
It's a miracle that they even run in the first place.

If you are a licensed tech you could try here, but if you are not they may not be too friendly.
The use of refrigerants and working on sealed systems is becoming a pretty hot topic these days because it is unlawful in most places to work on them without being certified and licensed.

Old 04-03-05, 08:22 PM
I am licensed, been in the field for over 5 years, just no exp. on these freaking ice makers, as far as the a\c that's easy for me, I feel that I have a lot of knowledge when in comes to trouble shooting a\c's and installs,
Ice makers are totally different, I will figure them out because of my back ground....

Thanks,

Kevin

Old 04-04-05, 03:01 PM
Wink

Got a call for a Manitowoc Q320 series down yesterday,
found water fill solenoid valve stuck open,and
thought easy repair,installed new valve,turned to ice
to confirm normal cycle, unit went into premature
harvest[no ice formation] and thought thickness probe fouled,acid cleaned,rinsed, dryed, same problem, disconnected from board stayed in freeze cycle,installed
brand new thickness probe, same problem,installed new
board i had on me, same &**%%$ problem,then decided to
install old style thickness probe i had on me, problem
vanished, i had this same problem about 3 years ago with
a Q 450 series,installed new probe first for premature harvest,same problem
installed new board, same problem,then problem mysteriously
disapeared on its own, any body experience this problem
before on Q series, all replies appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is just on post over there. Looks like some one else dont like that machine. like GregH said know what you are talking about are they will spit you right out.

One time had a icemaker in a motel.They said didnt make ice like you checked it . It made ice just fine. They would call no ice. Go there it worked just fine. So put a lock on it next day all the ice you want.????????? people would fill the ice box for a trip and the kids there where in it all the time so no ice. It dont stick in defrost some times,if its one that gets the ice sheet off that way.

ED

Last edited by Ed Imeduc; 04-04-05 at 03:13 PM.
Old 04-04-05, 05:11 PM
Wink

Reply to that was

By your description it sounds like you disconnected the ice thickness probe while the system was in the harvest cycle. When in harvest, the boards locks in so disconnecting won't terminate the harvest. As a general rule, never disconnect or connect a thickness probe during operation.

If you shut down, disconnect the probe, restart and get an immediate harvest, then it's a bad board. If not, the board is probably OK. If the probe is clean shows continuity, it's usually OK as well.

Also, understand that the thickness probe (and the water level sensor) is a capacitance, not resistance sensing circuit.....kinda like an antenna. On startup, the board looks at the capacitance of the probe and establishes a baseline value to work from. If you mess with it during operation, the board can react to that change. I don't understand the electronics of it all, but that's the basics of it.

have fun ED

Old 04-04-05, 05:44 PM
There are very few people who understands how ice machines work, I spoke to one person once who really understands them, he said the only reason he did is because he works on them everyday, that's his job...(there are a couple here that also know their stuff when it come to makers)
Now, there are some that understands the basics and that's about it as I see it, I should be able to really understand them in about 3 months because I catch on really fast, I wish that there was someone here who works on them everyday to get some advise from them.
Now as for understanding how an a\c works I think that there are some real pros here who are really good at it, (no names)
A few years back I wanted to learn everything there was about computers so I went to school and learned them an became A+ certified but later I found out that I didn't want to work on them for a living, but them dog gone ice makers are getting under skin, maybe I'm trying to learn them to fast being I opened one up for my first time about 3 weeks ago,
Why did I tell you all this crap?, maybe I wanted to let some of you know a little about my background