Ok some questions

Old 04-03-05, 09:13 PM
Silentblades
Visiting Guest
Ok some questions

Ok I found the box with my fan. Saw the coils...Im assuming they are supposed to freeze over with the A/C on? (im a rookie) Checked the thing below the filter...not sure what its called anyways when the A/C came on it frosted over, and I saw what appeared to be some Trash sticking out from the frosted over thing. (coils are connected to it.) Sorry not sure the exact terminology, im sleepy and Im new at this. Anyways the fan did not look to dirty. I also checked the copper wire feeding directly into the unit and it was not abnormally cold... Anyways thanks Im sure someone can answer this..Im also sure ill have more questions.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-05, 05:24 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Please don't start new threads on the same problem. keep it all in one place.

Your coil should not be freezing over. Shut it down and let it thaw completly. After it is completly thawed out spray the coil down with some 409 or equivilant, let it soak for a few minutes and carefully rinse it off. You may have to cover elctrical parts with plastic if you can't contain the water.

Make sure you have a clean filter and try and run it again. If it still freezes over you will need profesional help.

Old 04-04-05, 07:12 AM
Silentblades
Visiting Guest
Sorry

For the multiple threads. So the coils attached on the inside of the A/C box should not freeze over?

Old 04-04-05, 07:49 AM
Silentblades
Visiting Guest
oK

Did some online research. Its my evaporater coils that are freezing up. Is this normal? I can see that the evaporater is a lil dirty. Is there any way to clean it?

Old 04-04-05, 07:56 AM
Originally Posted by mattison
Your coil should not be freezing over. Shut it down and let it thaw completly. After it is completly thawed out spray the coil down with some 409 or equivilant, let it soak for a few minutes and carefully rinse it off. You may have to cover elctrical parts with plastic if you can't contain the water.

Make sure you have a clean filter and try and run it again. If it still freezes over you will need profesional help.
This pertains to the evap coil.

Old 04-04-05, 08:29 AM
Silentblades
Visiting Guest
Ok...so?

Ok I called goodman they are willing to replace the part...if its messed up? How hard is it to install tis thing myself? Or can it be cleaned?

Old 04-04-05, 02:44 PM
Wink

Id say if air is getting over the coil you are low on freon here if it frost up. You cant put a new coil in if your not EPA to work on them.

Did some online research. Its my evaporater coils that are freezing up. Is this normal? I can see that the evaporater is a lil dirty.

Call a hvac guy for sure. Tell him you need freon and to check for a leak in the system. If its in the coil then you might be able to get a new one from Goodman. You dont say how old this is.

ED

Old 04-04-05, 02:52 PM
Silentblades
Visiting Guest
A/C is 5 years old.

Can the coil be cleaned? A/C blows cold air. Just doesnt stay consistant.

Old 04-04-05, 03:16 PM
Wink

Yes like Matt said clean the coil . But if it frost up on you right away it sure sounds like low on freon.

ED

Old 04-04-05, 05:17 PM
Silentblades
Visiting Guest
Hrmm

K how do I clean the coil? lol Do i take it out or do I just poor a bleach/water solution over it? And yes it freezes up fairly quick. Within 15 mins. Whats the average rate for a freon fill up?

Old 04-04-05, 06:03 PM
Wink

let the coil right where it is and as it is. Cost??????Is so different across the country.

ED