HVAC Temperature Test

Old 04-07-05, 08:39 PM
MRSullivan
Visiting Guest
HVAC Temperature Test

I have two Trane units installed in a two story house. I want to measure the output temperature of both of the AC units to make sure they are cooling properly. I have a couple of questions.

#1 What is the recommended or most accurate way to measure the temperature output both?

#2 Is there a recommend IR Thermometer to use to measure HVAC?

#3 Is there some rough guidelines between outside temperature and the output?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-05, 05:00 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
At the airhandler. Compare return air temp with supply air temp after it's been running for a while. Use a stick type thermometer like what you would use for meat that will go down to at least 40. Drill a small hole just big enough for the probe to fit somewhere in the duct work just before the airhandler on the return and just after the airhandler in the supply. You should see around 15 - 20 difference. If you take the temps at the supply and return grills expect the split to be at least 5 wider. Just make sure and use the same thermometer so the readings are consistent.

We would normally design a system to maintain the indoor temp of 72 @ 90 outdoor air temp. But just like the temprature split, don't expect the supply temp to be less than about 15 - 20 below outdoor air temp.

Old 04-08-05, 03:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

#1 What is the recommended or most accurate way to measure the temperature output both?
Like Matt said Down to 40o and about a 5" stem on the back. Best if you can find two thermometer that read the same at the same time. Right at the coil in and out 16o to 20o

ED