Outside fan won't turn off on ac unit

Old 04-10-05, 05:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Outside fan won't turn off on ac unit

Hello again,

Houston...We have a problem....Wednesday, April 6, 2005, I came home from work and I noticed my house was very warm and the inside unit was on . I got a chair to check the air coming from the vents. It was very warm ,almost hot air. I went outside to check the outside unit and I noticed that I could hear a motor sound and I saw the fan blades turning but I could not hear the sound that the compressor makes when it turns on. I went up to the brown wire that has the geen, red, blue, white and yellow wires that leads from the unit to the inside and I wiggled it. The compressor kicked on. I go back inside and feel the air coming thru the vents and it is very cold. Later on , well, very early morn(3:00A.M.) I was awakened from my sleep on Friday, April 8, 2005 because it was so hot again....Again, the same thing...The fan blades were turning and I could hear the motor but the compressor was not on...Again, I wiggled the brown wire and the compressor kicked on. Everything is working fine. Keep in mind that the dog initially chewed the brown wire in October and we just reconnected the green, red, yellow, white and blue wires with electrical tape. Had not had any problems til now. Well, today, Sunday April 10, 2005 I went downstairs when I woke up to get some water from the kitchen, I could hear a whirring sound coming from the outside unit. The house was cold so I just chcked to see if everything with the outside unit was OK. It looked fine but the sound was different. I came back in . Upon coming home from church I noticed the house was freezing cold. The tstat was set to 80 as always but it was unusually cold. I turned the tsat up so that the unit would turn off. It did. I noticed that I still heard a sound coming from the outside unit. I heard the compressor turn off but the fan motor and blades were still on . There was also frost and dripping water around the tube with the foam insulation aroung it . I could see it because some of my foam insulation was chewed off by my dog in October. The tstat is on off. Everthing is off including the compressor but that fan motor and blades do not go off unless I turn off the circuit breaker. what can this be?????

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-05, 06:04 PM
Sounds like you have a short in the wire.. The Y and R maybe shorting in the brown wire itself, and not shutting off your compressor outside.

I would replace the wire all together in case the dog has chewed else where.

Still have the dog?

The frost is from the compressor running all times and the fan inside is not. Turn off the unit outside, and then turn the fan to "ON" to defrost the coil

Old 04-11-05, 08:42 AM
Wink

check the outside unit and I noticed that I could hear a motor sound and I saw the fan blades turning but I could not hear the sound that the compressor makes when it turns on. I went up to the brown wire that has the geen, red, blue, white and yellow wires that leads from the unit to the inside and I wiggled it. The compressor kicked on. I go back inside and feel the air coming thru the
With this it dont sound like in the tstat wire.

I turned the tsat up so that the unit would turn off. It did. I noticed that I still heard a sound coming from the outside unit. I heard the compressor turn off but the fan motor and blades were still on .
Again Is this a heatpump also????
Anytime you pull the 24 V R to Y off a outdoor unit I cant see how the condenser fan can run. They are both on the same contactor
Everthing is off including the compressor but that fan motor and blades do not go off unless I turn off the circuit breaker. what can this be?????
You say this is the outside unit fan. I say you have to go in to it or call a tech to look at it. Yes you can have trouble in the tstat wire yet. but not for this fan on.

ED

Old 04-12-05, 08:42 PM
From Pvt Msg.

Hi there Jay11J,

There is a difference in the motor sound I hear on when the air goes off on the inside of the house when it reaches the temp sat on the tstat, I have stood by the outside unit and hear the compressor turning off, but the motor on the fan and the fan blades are still turning. The sound is more quiet than the sound it makes when the compressor turns on. Then I WAIT FOR THE AIR TO COME BACK ON AND IHEAR THE COMPRESSOR COME BACK ON , BUT WHEN IT (THE compressor cuts back off when the inside reaches room temp again, the fan blades and the motor sound without the compressor on still is running. Not until I shut off all the power in the house does it stop. I see you say a short in the brown wire with the Y and R wires could contribute to the compressor not turning but I hear the compressor when it turns off but the fan blades and the fan motor are still on. The fan motor is a little more quiet than when the compressor kicks on. Or is the compressor the fam motor too???
First of all is this a packaged unit or split system?

Make and model?

Old 04-16-05, 05:02 PM
Hey what is it that you have there ?

Modle #

I have seen a outdoor fan motor short inside it and cause it to run all the time.

Really need to know more info