Can I just replace the Condenser?

Old 04-11-05, 09:28 PM
geoblackwl
Visiting Guest
Can I just replace the Condenser?

I had my A/C looked at today as it wasn't blowing cool air. The tech initially said it was low on coolant and that he could recharge it and add a dye pack and if it quit working again, they could then trace to the leak. He then called me out back to say that some portion of the condenser was trashed and it was leaking oil and basically all I could do was replace the entire unit. He told me one of the salesmen from his shop will visit with an estimate later this week and that they usually try and sell a whole new system instead of just replacing a portion of it. I don't know if I am being misled or not.

My home is in Wisconsin and is about 1400 sq ft. The old system (Heil) is only 7 years old and I would like it much better to just replace the outside condenser unit instead of the whole thing for obviou$ reason$. I have found a 10 seer 2 ton condensor unit online for $400 and would much rather order one of these and have it installed with the existing system rather than shell out 2 grand that I don't have.

Can I do this? I need to have some sort of leverage when dealing with the estimates. I'm not that knowledgable about this topic so if you need clarification just let me know. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-05, 05:19 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1st off get a 2nd opinion. If it needs replaced get a few bids to know where you stand.

2nd, if it does end up needing replaced and the existing is only 7 years old then you may be able to replace just the outside unit and keep your existing indoor coil. It's always best to replace it as a set but if you make sure the indoor coil is clean you should may alright as long as the outdoor unit matches up.

I would not reccomend buying a condensor off the internet because reguardless of what the website tells you, there will be no warranty from the manufacture. Even if they themselves covered it imagine if the compressor locked up. You would have to ship the whole thing back to them. Another problem is finding a quality service company to do the hookups for you. The only guys that will normally do these are not the guys you want in your house.

Old 04-12-05, 02:19 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

Even that far north Id still go for a SEER of 12 to 14.
Like Matt said get 3 bid here for sure on this. Dont try and get a unit like this on line. It dont pay.

ED

Old 04-12-05, 03:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 9 Posts
Condensor only

At 7 yrs old, I would just replace the condensor if it really needs replacing. VERY few can't be repaired. I'm going to respectfully disagree on the SEER. I would stick with the 10. If you go up, you will have to replace both the indoor & outdoor sections to get the SEER you are paying for. More money which you will not likely recover in energy savings.

Old 04-12-05, 04:44 PM
geoblackwl
Visiting Guest
Do I have to replace the condenser with a Heil or can the components be mixed?

Old 04-13-05, 04:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 9 Posts
Condenser

Heil & Tempstar are the same & I would suggest staying with the same brand as the indoor coil.