Good HVAC Book?

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-05, 10:23 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Good HVAC Book?

Can someone recommend some good reading on hooking up an heater, ac unit, and how to calculate duct size and number of vents, etc for a house? My father and I will be building a house soon and would like to readup ahead of time on hooking up an hvac system.

Thanks,

John

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-05, 10:31 AM
Wink

Might check at your library there first . You cant work on the hvac AC if your not EPA first.

ED

Old 04-17-05, 03:49 PM
Every forum I visit and every question I have the first response is generally "you can't". It truely amazes me how many people do not understand that in America a man can build his own damn house. I have been told I cannot wire the electricity in my own house, because I am not an electrician, I have been told I cannot make my own roof trusses, that I must purchase pre-made trusses. , I have been told I cannot hook up my own septic system, but yet the county says I can do all of these as long as the inspector passes my work.

So maybe you are the one who is correct this time, but I understand they now have self contained HVAC systems at home depot that pretty much just need power run to it and ventalation run into each room. So why would I not be allowed to connect these?

Perhaps you could elaborate instead of simply saying "you can't".

Anyway, my question was can anyone recommend a good book (preferable for sale online) that I can check out about this topic?

Thanks,

john

Old 04-17-05, 04:45 PM
Perhaps when someone says 'you can't', you should assume that to mean, 'it's not practical', to do it yourself. Sure, you can do all the A/C work yourself, but to be legal you must have the EPA certificate. No legitimate A/C shop will sell you the necessary refrigerant for your system without the card. I can attest that it's possible to 'do it yourself' because I went to all the trouble to get the education to do A/C and electrical work myself. It only took me four years. That training was part of another program and I took it upon myself to get all the proper paperwork done following the formal bookwork. I don't normally do A/C work for a living. It was a big pain in the ass. Few people will follow that path and get all the stuff necessary to do the job right. Insurance companies are probably a big reason you have to jump through all the hoops these days to get stuff done. You can design & build everything in your house you want to but unless you get it inspected and passed I doubt that your insurance company would be willing to talk to you about a policy. Sure, you can lie to them, but if you ever have a big claim and they start checking, you better have all the inspections done and have a record of that down at city hall. Otherwise you might have some trouble collecting on a claim when your insurance company starts reading you the fine print and telling you why they won't pay off. Like or not, that's the way the world is these days.

If you want a reasonable book on A/C try on by William C. Whitman called "refrigeration & Air Conditioning Technology." I think I bought that book on Ebay a couple of years back. It covers a lot of stuff besides just A/C. Most of the information about A/C will be useless to you, though, because it presumes that you will be working on an A/C system and have the ability to remove and recharge the refrigerant. You won't be able to do that without the EPA certification and perhaps a thousand or two bucks worth of stuff to do it with.

I'm on your side regarding do it yourself projects, but I've been burned a time or two by building inspectors and have had a few 'discussions' with others and have learned the hard way to just 'get with the program' and do it the right way. Doing it any other way can bite you in the ass on some later date when you least expect it. If you think that you are going to do enough projects to make it worth your time to jump through all the hoops then go for it.

Old 04-17-05, 06:28 PM
Thumbs down

Ed was really trying to give you good advise, he could have told you to do whatever you wanted to do but instead he gave you advice on the law,
some of you guys come here for advise and when a tech gives you advise that you don't want you go off on them.
Not sure what other sites you are speaking of but here techs give free advise everyday, one might wonder why we give free advise to others when having to deal with people as yourself

Old 04-17-05, 07:23 PM
Well, Jughead gave great advice and had a nice post about it. The other 2 replies in this thread are worthless to me. The problem that I am finding with many of these forums is that the "professionals" generally want to help fellow "professionals" and the advice that the rest of us get is pretty weak. Its like trying to get initiated into a club that nobody wants you to join.

I am one of those people who has never failed at anything I have ever tried to do. Not trying to sound cocky, but I am a very resourceful person that wants to do anything and everything I possible can in this life without paying someone else to do it for me. We are setting out to build a house and want to to use our bare hands from the ground up on 99.9% of the is project. We will probably build 2 additional houses afterwards so its beneficial to us to learn as much as we can.

If I had posted a question asking "please list any roadblocks and reasons why I should pay someone to do a job for me" than this would have been a great help, but my post was specifically asking for good reading material to teach myself and 2 out of 3 of the comments completely sidetracked that question.

I'm sorry, but I honestly don't believe that the guy who services AC units for a living is a genius who has tapped into knowledge that no other human can ever understand. If he can do it, I can do it. If the law won't let me so be it, but I have heard many comments about the law not allowing this or that and so far have all proved to be wrong. Not trying to sound like a Dick, but if you really would like to help someone read the question next time.

Thank you jughead! I'll look for that book.

John

Old 04-17-05, 08:29 PM
cableguywi
Visiting Guest
Another Idea for you

I'm just a low voltage tech that my boss had learn all the simple HVAC stuff for the building automation systems that I work with. I was given these books to learn the basics..

http://www.constructionbook.com/xq/A...x/default2.htm

There pretty handy I think, for the price. No there not going to get your a refrigration lic. or anything like that.. Just enough information to leave the other stuff for the pros.. And as I've found, if I dont know the answer try to find it or call someone.

Old 04-18-05, 09:09 AM
Looks like all the info asked for has been given and it is getting argumentative. Actually started a couple posts back. JohnnyM76, We do try to give the best info however if a special license is needed to do the work we don't go into lengthy conversation about it. AC licenses or anything to do with Freon is Federal so not something you want to try to violate. Hopefully you have sources now for your project.

Closed Thread