Central air fan blade

Old 04-18-05, 09:11 AM
M
Massey27609
Visiting Guest
Central air fan blade

The fan on my a/c condenser won't run (Goodman unit). The a/c tech said I need a new fan motor and quoted $400. This seems like something I can do myself so I'm going to change the motor and the capacitor. I attempted to decharge the capacitor by crossing over the contacts but didn't get any spark. Could I just need a capacitor instead of the motor? And if I replace the motor, what's the best way to get the fan blade off without doing damage? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-05, 10:40 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

You can call for AC and push or spin the fan blade. If it takes off and runs then it should be just the capacitor.
If it is the motor make sure you get the right RPM the CW or CCW it should turn.

fan blade W-D-40 , allen out, and a blade puller. Sometimes a wrench on the flat of the shaft and work the blade back and forth around the shaft

ED

Old 04-18-05, 12:42 PM
M
Massey27609
Visiting Guest
Wiring help

Thanks, Ed. I just picked up a new motor and capacitor. On my old motor, I think I have 4 wires and the capacitor has 3 gangs of connecting poles. Brown goes to one; red & purple wires go to one; and a yellow wire goes to the third;

On the new motor I only have 3 wires, brown, purple & black. And the capacitor only has 2 sets of connections. Question now is what wires off the new motor go to what connections on the capacitor?

Hope this is not too confusing. I really appreciate the help!

Old 04-19-05, 05:43 AM
M
Massey27609
Visiting Guest
Wiring help

I took it apart last night and think I have most of it figured out. The yellow wire that went to the old capacitor actually comes off the compressor. The wiring diagram shows it going to a "start assist if used". Am I suppose to use this yellow wire and if so, where do I connect it on the new capacitor? Thanks!

Old 04-19-05, 06:30 AM
That's a dual purpose capacitor. It will have 2 ratings on it and you really should get another that matches the needs of the compressor and the needs of the fan. Those Goodman capacitors are notorious for going bad.

Old 04-19-05, 09:16 AM
Wink

With Matt here. Hard to say what colors go where on your unit check the wire schematic there. Id get dual capacitor and wire it back like it was . As that feeds the compressor and the fan. look on the side of it, should say volts and MFD
Or you can keep the one that came with the fan and just get the right one for the compressor.

ED

Old 04-20-05, 01:26 AM
M
Massey27609
Visiting Guest
Satisfied User!

Got the dual capacitor and hooked everything up last night. Works like a charm!! Saved myself $200 - $300 by doing it myself. Thanks to you guys for all the help. I encourage everyone using these forums to support your site, as your advice to the average homeowner is great! Thanks again, guys!