Central A/C Unit not blowing cold air as it should

Old 04-22-05, 06:26 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Central A/C Unit not blowing cold air as it should

I'll try to give as much information as I can. From reading the boards I know you need great detail, hopefully I can get some answers to help me out.

We just bought our home last year, first time home buyers, never had to deal with these kind of issues. Last night my wife and I noticed that the A/C wasn't keeping our house cold. The Unit outside is a Trane (I'm assuming that's the compressor) which we were told was minimum 5 - 7 years old, now inside in the attic, i'm not sure if the unit has another manf name or not. It is gas heated however. Needless to say, I put my hand up to the vent and it wasn't blowing very hard nor very cold. It wasn't hot air, but it wasn't what I would call ice cold either. Now the unit was working at least a week or two ago with no problems. The hot weather finally came to Louisiana so the thermostat showed 80, so we set it down to 74. After a couple hours, no change in the temp. made sure all windows were closed and all doors were shut (thinking the air was getting out of the house). Still not change. I go into the attic, check the evap core, there's dust on it, but not in great quantity. I clean it out best I could (which was using a vaccume with a brush attachment on it, not sure what else I can do to clean it since the only access i have is a hole cut in the duct between it and the blower.) No fins were bent and after cleaning the speed of the air increased slightly, but still wasn't cold. The two copper tubes that come from the outside (the large one and the small one) were neither hot nor cold. both slightly chilled, but not ice cold. I turned the unit off for a couple hours thinking I may have over worked it. turned back on after that, still no cold air. Went to bed and let the unit run over night set on 74. Eventually the house cooled down to 79 before I finally fell asleep, when I woke up it was at 75 (which the house could have cooled down to the outside weather). So now I'm lost, I don't know if I have a leak, no refridgerant or what else to check. The compressor outside does run, turns on , fan spins. The breakers are not tripped. And the thermostate inside the house is an electric style, not a manual style.

Any information would be appreciated.

Last edited by castuckey; 04-22-05 at 06:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-05, 09:39 AM
Wink

You say it all runs out side .So the big copper line there should be cold and wet the small line warm to body temp.
So if all clean Id go for low on freon . If so dont keep running the outside unit .till you get it checked just run the fan on OK
Is air filter clean????

Post back in this same post

ED

Old 04-22-05, 01:33 PM
Give it a good cleaning on the outside unit (turn termostat and unit off before cleaning) and have your freon checked by a tech, hopefully that's all it will need, a little tender loving care which a lot of units don't get (tear in my eye)

Good Luck

Old 04-22-05, 03:57 PM
Had a tech look at it. I have a leak somewhere in the system, tech seems to think it's in the evap core. But he charged the system and said it should last for the summer.

So now the question is... what all is involved in changing an evap core? Do the two lines from the outside in need to be changed or do the get cut off and get torched on to a new evap core?

Old 04-23-05, 03:45 AM
When they come back make sure they don't just assume where the leak is. With todays technology available to us they should be able to find your leak relatively easy.

If it is the evap coil, the part itself may be under warranty if you call a Trane dealer. And to answer your question. They will recover any reaining refrigerant, cut out the old evap and sweat in a new one.

Old 04-23-05, 04:16 AM
Originally Posted by mattison
When they come back make sure they don't just assume where the leak is. With todays technology available to us they should be able to find your leak relatively easy.

If it is the evap coil, the part itself may be under warranty if you call a Trane dealer. And to answer your question. They will recover any reaining refrigerant, cut out the old evap and sweat in a new one.

Thanks for that answer, I appreciate it. The A/C tech is a family friend. It's what he does for a living. He told me just to not worry about the leak for right now giving the weather is getting hot. He said something about you would detect it using some kind of x-ray equipment. He said if it needs to be charged up frequently then we would persue it further, but if it stays cold through out the summer then we would tackle it in the fall when it wasn't so hot in the attic.

I don't know about a warranty or not, I know the outside compressor was changed in the last 5 years, but I don't know if the inside unit (evap core) was part of that change. Would it have?