Yet Another One Room is Hot Question..

Old 04-23-05, 06:00 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yet Another One Room is Hot Question..

Yes, I have one room in the house that is hotter than the rest. It is about 40 feet from the blower unit and distro box. I asked the isntaller (new construction 1.5 years ago) what can be done to even out the temp through the house. We did have dampers installed when building and they have adjusted it fairly well, but the one room is still hot.

The installer's suggestion was to run another duct to the room. Is this a good fix for this? If so, I can do this myself. The room is maybe 12'x14' and on the SW side of the house. The other room on this side of the house is the Master Bedroom and is is a little cooler, but certainly not like the North side of the house.

Any suggestions/comments before I go find another AC person and pay them to fix it?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-05, 06:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Toy 4x4

You can try running another or a larger duct to the hot room. This often helps. Be sure to install a damper where the branch duct attaches to the main in case you rob too much air from elsewhere.

Old 04-23-05, 09:21 AM
Wink

The room is maybe 12'x14' and on the SW side of the house. The other room on this side of the house is the Master Bedroom and is is a little cooler, but certainly not like the North side of the house.
On the SW side might try the windows first any shade on them do you get full sun there. Any shade from out side might help. You sure blower is on high speed ??? just some ifs ifs ????

ED

Old 04-23-05, 10:38 AM
Originally Posted by Ed Imeduc
On the SW side might try the windows first any shade on them do you get full sun there. Any shade from out side might help. You sure blower is on high speed ??? just some ifs ifs ????

ED
Doh! It's actually the SE side. The only window faces to the east and has good plantation shutters.

I have actually wondered about the blower being on high. Might have to figure out how to check that.

Old 04-23-05, 11:21 AM
Wink

On the blower door look at the wire schematic there should tell you what is high speed most of the time by color.

ED

Old 04-23-05, 12:56 PM
warm room

one quick fix is to make sure you have a return in the room as well. Make that room all hardpipe except for about 3' flex, this will ensure you have little resistance to flow... if you can do it all in hard pipe, thats even better but a bit more difficult. runn the fan all the time too UNLESS you have an air handler that is outside the house because that MIGHT bring in outdoor air (an additional load)...By the way, how many tons is this, and how large a space is it cooling?