jimbodance
Visiting Guest
Question Central heat and air replacement question

Hi!

I have a 1300 Sq foot house.

I have been qouted two different units.

One is a Trane unit for $3700

the other is a Payne unit for $3200

I was told that a 2.5 ton unit is rated for 1250 sq ft home.

and a 3 ton unit is rated for a 1500 sq ft home.

Which brand has a better reliability and is a 3 ton unit too big for my 1300sq ft home?

your suggestions are appreciated.

Jimmy Boyer

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-05, 09:56 AM
Smile

Without knowing the models involved, Trane is top of the line equipment and Payne is usually associated with bottom of the line builder/budget models. You should insist on a written Manual J heat/cool load calculation from your dealer for properly sizing equipment. An oversized AC system will not dehumidify adequately and an undersized can not keep up cooling a home. At first glance, a 3 ton unit seems too large for a 1300 sq ft home. Please consider a new matched evaporator coil or air handler for best operating efficiency and an AC condenser rated at miniumum 13-14 SEER. Good Luck!

Old 04-26-05, 10:29 AM
Wink

Like said a AC load has to be run on the home to say for sure what you need . You dont say where you are how long do you run the AC for summer. Then next is how long are you going to stay in this home there You have to look at all of this then pick the AC for you and what SEER you should get. When you dont see it you cant say how big for sure but 3 ton is what I have in 1900sq ft here in FL. Ran it through the PC and came up that Id need 3 1/2 ton for the same home up in Missouri. Id go Trane or Rheem and get 3 bids for the job.

ED

Old 04-26-05, 10:39 AM
jimbodance
Visiting Guest
Hi!

I live in Dallas Texas. I usually run the air conditioner from may to mid oct. I usually keep the thermostat set fro 78. I put in on 80 while I am away. When I first come home I may turn the unit down to let it run for an hour and then put it back to 78. I will look at my old system when I get home but I believe it is a 2.5 system

Old 04-26-05, 11:07 AM
Wink

That long of run you might look at a seer of 16 they do go to seer of 19.Another thing that pays off here is a hot water recovery unit on the AC . This kicks up the seer of the unit and gives you free hot water.
golook at http://www.jacobhac.com/hottap.htm

ED