Outside Fan Coming On - Inside We're Passing Out

Old 05-24-05, 01:00 PM
Micah
Visiting Guest
Outside Fan Coming On - Inside We're Passing Out

I would be forever grateful for some advice here.

The A/C stopped cooling over the weekend. After giving the coil time to thaw, we were in business again the following day.

Yesterday, the A/C stopped cooling again, but now 24 hours later, the A/C is still not blowing air. I think the problem originated from the filthy Static-Gard filter that had not been replaced in years.

At the unit in the basement, I hear liquid going into the coil and the large copper pipe going to the coil is getting cold.

The Outside fan comes on. The insulated copper pipe that goes to it also gets cold. There is some frost on it at the small valve after turning the TSTAT on for several minutes.

I would appreciate any pointers to help get this thing going again before I have to call the A/C man.

Best regards,
Micah

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-05, 01:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You're going to have to shut the a/c off for now and just put the fan in the "on" position for a few hours for it to completly thaw out. Then it would be a good idea to clean the indoor coil and replace the filter with maybe a merv6 pleated filter "these will be the $5 dollar ones at your local home improvement store. See how it runs then and post back.

Old 05-24-05, 02:04 PM
Micah
Visiting Guest
I am grateful.

Could you give me some instruction to clean the indoor coil? Could I take an air compressor and blow it out or use a cleaner of some type?

Would the coil be enclosed in the piece located on top of the furnace? I have a heat pump with gas piggy back. It has silver tape on the edges. Please look at the photo. It doesn't take me long to mess things up.

Again, Thanks for your help.
Micah

Old 05-24-05, 05:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 11 Votes on 10 Posts
Photo

Yes, the coil is in there. To get to it you will have to take the furnace vent pipe off. If you are somewhat lucky, you might be able to tilt the coil enough to see the underside of it. Be very careful not to kink the copper tubing goiing to the coil. IF you are real lucky & have some help to hold the coil, you might be able to slide it out far enough to clean the underside. I get some strange looks from homeowners when I walk in with a toilet brush but it works better than any other brush I've found.