AC Cooling all but one room

Old 06-07-05, 05:55 AM
shenson
Visiting Guest
AC Cooling all but one room

My Ac is cooling all but the media room. I have one vent in the room, and it appears to be blowing cold air, but this room stays 10 degrees warmer than the rest of the rooms upstairs. You can tell the difference when you walk in and out of the room. It is above the Garage, on the North East corner of my house.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-05, 06:08 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Some questions/brainstorming.........

When you say media room, what does this mean?
What is size of room?
Any special equipment that gives off a great deal of heat?
Has this room always been hot in summer/cold in winter?
Is room properly insulated? Walls,overhead/floor? Any windows?
Only one supply vent-is there a return vent?

First suggestion is that room is not receiving enough air flow. I would look at the size ductwork providing conditioned air to this room. It probably needs to be larger.

Good Luck!

Old 06-07-05, 06:21 AM
shenson
Visiting Guest
When you say media room, what does this mean? I Have a 52 Inch TV with a surround sound system. I also have a PC in the room.
What is size of room? It is close to 17' by 19'
Any special equipment that gives off a great deal of heat? I've stood over by the TV and it does not appear to be generating any heat. The PC does generate some heat, but should not be enough to heat up the room.
Has this room always been hot in summer/cold in winter? This is the 2nd summer, and this room has always been warmer than the rest of the house.
Is room properly insulated? Walls,overhead/floor? Any windows? I've drilled a few holes from the garage, and it appears to be well insulated above the garage. In the attic, it also appears to be well insulated. It is interesting that I can't tell the wall are any warmer, but the room sure is.
Only one supply vent-is there a return vent? No return vent, and only one ceiling vent. The duct goes from this room to the unit in the attic.

Hope that answers all your questions, and thank you for the reply.

Old 06-07-05, 07:03 AM
Sorry for all the questions.

This is a common problem for bonus type rooms over the gararge/carport.

Do you have one system that serves the complete house for air conditioning?
Any other living space on the same floor as the "media room"?

Air flow is the issue along with stagnant air movement(no return).

1.I would check the size of ductwork feeding this room and also find out if adding a return is possible. Are you getting good strong air flow into room? There are booster fans available to help problems like this.

2.Also, you may want to take a look at size of existing system. This room is apprx 350 sq ft. Was this room initially hooked up to your AC when home was built or was ductwork later added to take care of conditioned air to this room? Capacity may be an issue.

3.There are mini split heat pumps on the market to handle heating/cooling needs of rooms this size.

I am just trying to brainstorm some ideas here. Take a look first at air flow into room, then capacity of existing system. After that, I would contact HVAC dealer. If capacity is not an issue, then a ductwork modification may be all that's required. If capacity is an issue, then look at alternatives such as these mini heat pump units.

Good Luck!

Old 06-07-05, 08:35 AM
shenson
Visiting Guest
I may give the booster fan idea a try. Do you know if they maker booster fans that turn on with the AC?

This room was part of the original plan when the house was built. I have two units, one for downstairs and one for up. The room next to this one (Room is about the same size) stays very cool, just this room does not. I have looked at the duct work, and can't see any issues with it, it appears to be good.

Thanks for all you help, bouncing ideas is a great way to solve problems!

Old 06-07-05, 09:45 AM
One vent for the media room is not enough.. It's seems like a good size room too..

I would suggest another supply vent, and if you can, put a return.. The TV and other media equipement does put off heat, and when you get room full of people too.