Water in the tub

Old 06-13-05, 03:11 PM
tommy2117
Visiting Guest
Water in the tub

Hi All

I had a Rheem central a/c unit installed 3 years ago and in my Bi-level 1800 squre feet house,each year the Plastic black tub where the a/c unit sits on (foam blocks) in the tub fills up close to the top of the tub and the water goes out the Pvc Pipe attached to the tub and drains out to my Gutters, My question is this NORMAL for all this water to fill up since it was installed, the water is coming out slightly from both plastic pvc's pipes that lead to the gutter, The a/c installer had said this was normal, I spoke to two other a/c guy's who said that the pan should not be that full, I either have a blockage or the unit is not tilted properly, could a proffesional let me know , before my ceiling is destroyed. Thanks in advance.

Tommy

Old 06-13-05, 04:49 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

The AC unit itself has to drain out side with its own drain pipe. That tub or drain pan under the unit that you have is only for a bad overflowor water leak in the unit. The pipe for it by most codes has to run outside over a walkway a door or window . That is so you see it and know something is wrong. Is the drain from the unit clear is the P trap on it clean? What you have is not right . Is the air filter clean??

ED

Old 06-13-05, 04:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Water in pan

Presuming this "tub" to be the emergency or secondary pan, the only time water should get into it is if something is wrong with the primary drain on the air handler.

Old 06-13-05, 05:56 PM
tommy2117
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks
Ed Imeduc & Grady for your quick response ,I gotta get somebody else to look at it , since the the installer said its normal as long as the water drains out of the Pan. I talked to a few people and they all said the tub shouldn't be almost full with water. .

Thanks

Old 06-13-05, 09:05 PM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Maybe some dirt got stick in the outlet pipe not allowing the water out?

Old 06-14-05, 09:49 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ed Imeduc
The AC unit itself has to drain out side with its own drain pipe. That tub or drain pan under the unit that you have is only for a bad overflowor water leak in the unit. The pipe for it by most codes has to run outside over a walkway a door or window . That is so you see it and know something is wrong. Is the drain from the unit clear is the P trap on it clean? What you have is not right . Is the air filter clean??

ED
Wow, those code guys are clever. If only my builder had known them I had debates with him on what to do in this situation, he finally ended up draining it to the DWV system. Didn't seem right, but I couldn't come up with anything better at the time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: