Freon leak = new air conditioner?

Old 06-15-05, 07:36 PM
butwb
Visiting Guest
Freon leak = new air conditioner?

We had an A/C guy come to our house to see why our A/C was not working and as it turns out their is a Freon leak. They are suggesting we get a completely new system....I have a problem with this.

The other option was to find the leak, repair it and test it and pay for through the nose for something they probably know where the leak is. Someone told me today that the leak almost always occurs at the coil. Why can't I just replace the coil and have it filled with Freon again? This should be a fraction of the cost of a whole new unit....correct?

Everything else on the unit is working fine including the compressor. Granted, the unit is 17 years old but I feel they are not advising me the best solution to my problem. It's not making any sense to me.

Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-05, 04:26 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Most of the time a good tech should be able to find a leak pretty quick and then advise on repair vs replace. Granted some are very small and do take some time and effort and I would not replace just the coil in a 17 year old system. You'll pay about a third of the cost of a whole new unit just getting the coil replaced and getting a new system could very well pay for itself in energy savings over a short period depending on what part of the country you live in.

15 - 20 years is the life of an a/c unit.

Old 06-16-05, 06:14 AM
butwb

I agree with Matt. You are at or near the end of the average life of an Air Conditioning system. As far as a leak goes, it depends upon the type of leak and its location. This should be identified first and find out if it is repairable before concluding that a new AC system is necessary. I don't like the idea of recharging a system without locating and repairing leak. Unfortunately this is all too common with either lazy or poor HVAC techs. The real pro will find the leak. If it is determined that a new system is justified, purchase a minimum 13-14 SEER with matching coil.

Old 06-16-05, 06:33 AM
It could be that the tech feels your unit is old and would make sense to him to do a change out, at 17 years old you will begin to have problems with your system as you are having now, get you 2-3 bids on how much it would cost to change it out and see how much it would cost to repair the unit you have now and you take it from there making your choice, again, keep in mind that your unit is very old at 17..
If you agree to change it out go with a min. of a 14 seer, you will save money on elec. bill with a new unit.

Good Luck

HiltonTech

Old 06-16-05, 06:40 AM
Wink

Me too------- This make 4 out of 4. At 17 years old get a whole new unit now .

ED