air conditioning

Old 06-26-05, 02:36 PM
mrfox11705
Visiting Guest
air conditioning{need help}

a/c only 6 years old, only us it 2-3 days a year. checked volts all good. what is the connetor out side that the main wiring goes to that is a spring connector when i push it in the unit comes on. this connetor will not stay in. can i just put something on it so it will stay pushed in? if so will this cause any problems with the a/c unit. thanks for any info. mr.fox

Last edited by mrfox11705; 06-26-05 at 02:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-05, 02:55 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
NO! do not try to close and hold contactor. You will cause more harm than good. The part your refering to is called a contactor. The t-stat sends 24v to contactor and tells it close contacts which in turn starts condenser unit. If you do not understand hvac it is best that you call a service tech.

Old 06-26-05, 03:01 PM
mrfox11705
Visiting Guest
what will happen if i keep it closed? what wood make the connetor not to close? thanks for your info. mr.fox

Old 06-26-05, 03:08 PM
B
You will damage compressor.

Old 06-26-05, 03:13 PM
Wink

See if you have 24V to that contactor if you do then its bad . if you dont have 24V power to it, is there a reset in the unit there that if you push the button the unit comes on. Like said find out why it dont close but turn it off till then.

ED

Old 06-26-05, 03:56 PM
mrfox11705
Visiting Guest
air conditioning{need help}

can i leave it on like this until monday and i can see if i can get some one to look at it? i have three babys and it is to hot here not to have the air on. i will check for a button tomorrow. i just can not have air and that is why i looked for some help here for my 3 babys will not get hot. thanks for all and any help.mr.fox

Old 06-26-05, 04:01 PM
H
Whatever you do don't force the contactor to stay closed, it appears the contactor is bad but call a tech to make sure and if it is indeed bad get him to change it out.
Be very careful when near the contactor when the breaker which powers your unit is on, you could really harm yourself.

HiltonTech