A/C Unit Keeps Tripping Breaker

Old 06-28-05, 07:26 PM
rs13
Visiting Guest
A/C Unit Keeps Tripping Breaker

I have a 3.5 ton York unit outside my home. When cooling the house down, the breaker trips and the outside fan shuts off when the inside thermostat nears 78 degrees. As long as the thermostat is set at 79 or above, the breaker is not tripped. My a/c man tested the unit and said the fan motor and condenser were pulling the right amount of amps. I had an electrician out and he replaced the "tripping" breakers. The problem still existed, so the a/c man replaced the capacitor. The problem still exists. Any suggestions on what could be causing the breaker to trip?

Thanks so much.

rs13 who needs her a/c fixed in this Texas heat

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-05, 08:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
rs13

Is there any approximate amount of run time before the breaker trips (other than 78)? Ask your electrician & A/C guy if either one has a recording ammeter. If either does, ask them to hook it up to your A/C. This will tell them when the breaker trips and at what amperage.

Old 06-29-05, 08:42 AM
rs13
Visiting Guest
Thanks Grady. Actually, the a/c can run 3 hours or 30 minutes before tripping the breaker. Just depends on how long it takes it to cool to 78 degrees. The a/c man is coming back today. I will make your suggestion and enjoy seeing the look on his face when he thinks I know something about the a/c. Thanks for your note.