can't get humidity out of the air with central

Old 06-30-05, 02:09 AM
dalepa
Visiting Guest
can't get humidity out of the air with central

Cool air is coming out of the vents but is not cooling the house enough to keep the temp down during the day (can't get below 78 when it's hot). Even at night when it can keep up, the air still feels humid.

After many service calls, he replaced my metering device which was still under warranty. Not only did it not seem to have an impact but he also said he cut me a deal by only charging me to pump out the gas and not charge me to put the new puron in -which of course was a tidy sum by itself. Is there a reason he had to put new puron in? Or did he just see a woman with no idea about a/cs?

And how do I get the humidity out of the air?

Thank you so much for any help!

Last edited by dalepa; 06-30-05 at 02:29 AM.
Old 06-30-05, 07:21 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
dalepa

Sorry for your trouble. I am not real clear what the HVAC tech did to your AC system other than checking and possibly recharging refrigerant???
There are 2 parts to air conditioning-cooling and humidity removal.

A couple of questions please.

1.What is size of your home?
2.What is brand, model, and size of your AC condenser(outside unit)?
3.How old is unit?
4.Check the refrigerant lines leaving your AC condenser. Big line should be cold and wet and small line should be warm.
5.Has your air filter been changed recently?
6.When was the last time evaporator coil was cleaned?
7.Has your AC system always had trouble cooling properly in summer months or is this just a recent problem?
8.Any idea of temp of air coming out of supply register vent?
9.What temp do you set your thermostat at?

Post back when you can. If you have had multiple service calls with this dealer, I would think about someone else to check your system.

Old 06-30-05, 08:48 AM
dalepa
Visiting Guest
The unit is a Carrier Weathermaker 38YZA (size? do you mean amount of gas it takes? 5.37 lbs). It was installed in 2003. I haven't lived here a year yet, but last august and late spring the unit worked fine. Things seemed to work until I got the annual service performed in the beginning of June (so everything was cleaned and filter replaced then). Since the servicing, I have noticed the problems.

The tech said the metering device was the culprit. In order to put in the new metering device he said he had to drain the puron. Does that sound right? Would a metering device impact the humidity? And does he need to drain the outside unit to change the metering device on the inside unit?

That said, the new metering device doesn't seemed to have helped. There is still cold air coming out but a failure to keep cool during the late afternoon when it gets warm, and humidity in the air.

I checked the lines as you suggested. There seem to be three (sorry for being sooo clueless here). The really big one has black insulation material around it so I couldn't feel it. The medium one is a little colder than the really small one that doesn't feel cold or warm. Just sorta air temp.

Thank you so much for your help - it is so great to have somewhere to turn to for advice!

(oh, and my house is a split level with central only on the main floor - the main floor is about 1500 square feet. I have set my thermostat around 72 give or take a degree or two)

Old 06-30-05, 09:21 AM
T
dalepa

When I asked about size, I mean the tonnage. AC units are sized according to tons. This info should be on nameplate/dataplate on your outside unit. I am going to make the assumption that your AC system is sized correctly to your home.The metering device could be a TXV-Thermal expansion valve which is used to efficiently meter refrigerant to your evaporator coil. You have a relatively new system and I am also making assumption your coil or air handler is same age. It seems you still have a mechanical problem that has not been properly addressed by your servicing dealer. My suggestion is to call the service mgr and relate problem just what you have stated in post. I don't think you should be required to pay for another service call unless it is a totally different problem. I would check the supply temperature from your inside register/vent. You can do this by getting an inexpensive digital thermometer from a hardware store or Home Depot/Lowes. Just tell the associate how you intend to use it. You may also want to try to pull back the black insulation around the big pipe and see if it is cold and wet. I may be mistaken but the recharge on the refrigerant may not be correct. But I have been wrong before.

Good Luck!

Old 06-30-05, 09:24 AM
dalepa
Visiting Guest
Thanks so much!

Old 06-30-05, 10:17 AM
A couple of questions for you....

-Do you run your furnace fan 24/7?

-Use the exhaust fan in the batroom/kitchen?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: