Cant get AC fan to come on...

Old 07-03-05, 12:26 PM
stupidheatpump!
Visiting Guest
Cant get AC fan to come on...

Inside fan will not come on when tstat tells it to. Comes on fine when tstat is set to heat. Outside fan comes on fine for both.

I noticed a freeze up so I checked the forum and cleaned my evaporator (A) coil. The system will still freeze up when I turn it on but Im wondering if this is because the fan is not running and therefore there is no air moving across the coil to generate warm air flow to keep the coil in check?

When I put the AC on I get a bit of a gurgling sound from the inside unit and things start to freeze up pretty fast.

Does this seem like a fan problem or a freon problem or both? Any suggestions on how to get the fan running again? Once I get the fan running Ill investigate the freeze up further.

Thanks!

Old 07-03-05, 03:19 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
First thing you have to do is get the fan to run, that's a must, if it doesn't freeze and your home is cool than your charge is ok

Old 07-03-05, 07:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Indoor fan

If the indoor fan will run with the thermostat set to "fan-on", you can use it like this until the problem is found & fixed. Problem could be in the fan relay on the air handler, a fan motor with one speed gone out, or the thermostat.

Old 07-04-05, 07:03 AM
stupidheatpump!
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the advice

I got the fan running by setting it to on with the system set to off. Once the fan was up and running I just switched it to cool. With the fan running my freezing problem stopped. After allowing it to run for a while I switched it over to auto and everything seems to be OK. Ill keep a close eye on it in case I need to replace the relay, etc.

Thanks for the speedy advice

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: