ac in store

Old 07-05-05, 12:18 PM
chetmichaels
Visiting Guest
ac in store

ok so i had posted earlier about cooling maybe 100 sq feet in my department and had bought some swamp coolers but that didnt work (probably cuz im in texas where its nice and humid) so i may break down and get a portable ac - one of those $400 thingys if i can get my coworkers to chip in for it

heres my question tho-i dont have a window to vent the hot air but if you remove the ceiling tiles above me there is a HUGE space of nothing ness. It's a partly 2 story building, some offices on top, and some open ceiling space elsewhere, but right above me there is nothing. I took a flashlight up there and saw some pipes and that's about it. I'd say it's probably easily 20+ feet high, and 40+ feet wide and long up there. so is it possible to vent hot air in there or is it asking for trouble? I just wanna check before i run it by the manager, thx

...of course you'd think the company would pay for something like that and not want us sweating in front of customers but its a pretty ghetto company...

Old 07-06-05, 08:45 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
In my opinion you're wasting money. That unit is only going to feel good if it's blowing directly on you. How big is the rest of the place? Hot air migrates to cold so as soon as you start it running the large warm area around you is going to outwiegh the benefits. Your best bet in a situation like this is to ust a simple fan.

Old 07-06-05, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
Took a quick look for something simple and found this:

Click image:

Imge credit: collisiondetection.net

The function of airconditioning/refrigeration is to transfer heat from one place to another.
The only practical place to reject heat from airconditioning is outside.

Old 07-06-05, 10:36 AM
The portable a/c needs a drain for the condensate doesn't it. You would have to find a drain outlet for it.

Old 07-06-05, 11:05 AM
The ductless systems only require a 3" hole in the wall. They start at about $900 for 8,000 btu's. If your handy and can install it yourself, that is your best bet.

Old 07-06-05, 10:39 PM
chetmichaels
Visiting Guest
hmm..gonna have to see if the manager would go for something like that...we have several fans going but its just blowing around hot air anyway, not giving much relief.
the space is the same size as the ceiling but i only need to cool about a 3x8 foot area as that is where me and my coworker is most of the time
plus the "portable ac" units only need somewhere to vent the hot air some dont need to have water emptied

the manager has a window ac in his office and half of it is in the wall. i have no clue as to where the hot air or water drops are going. i dont think he's in a rush to approve our ac as he's sitting comfy meanwhile...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: