air handler will not go on

Old 07-06-05, 05:52 PM
F
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
air handler will not go on

I pushed the fan with the power on, changed the cap, and it still will not go on. How do I tell if it's the relay or a bad motor? By the way, I did check with a current detecter, there seems to be juice going to the fan, but I need to make sure. Please advice me on what to do next. Thank you

Old 07-06-05, 06:53 PM
A current detector won't tell you if you have 240 volts. If that's what you need, you should check it with a voltmeter. You also didn't say which fan it is or if it is an air handler or a furnace or an outdoor unit. Post back with more details and we can proceed.

Ken

Old 07-07-05, 01:26 AM
F
This is a central air unit that has the compressor sitting out in the backyard, which is working fine, and a horizontal air handler that is siting up in the attic. This is only an air conditionning unit, no heat, when the thermostat is tuned on The compressor goes on, but the fan in the air handler will not. I can feel the freon pipes getting cold, but like I said fan will not kick in. My next thought was to change the relay before I change the fan, and I have checked all fuses they seem to be fine. What do you think?. Thank you

Old 07-07-05, 06:51 AM
If it's the airhandler in the attic that's not coming on, you need to use a volt-meter and determine for sure if you have its rated line voltage going to it or not.

Old 07-07-05, 07:26 AM
Maybe you can turn off the power to the air handler and bypass the relay. Power up and see what the motor does then. The relays with the built-in time delays seem to be the ones that fail most often.

Ken

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: