Please Help. Unbearable heat, a/c not working

Old 07-06-05, 08:34 PM
PhilaLogan
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Please Help. Unbearable heat, a/c not working

Please help. Today when I got home I came to a hot and humid home. The A/C was on but no cold air was coming out. Just the fan was blowing but it was on A/C set at 77 degrees. I turn the unit off, then turn it back on. I was happy at first because I felt cool air coming out and the a/c was making its usual noise it makes when it is on and not just the fan blowing sound. Then that wonderful a/c sound stops then all I hear is that dreadful fan only sound. We have had this problem in the past, after the hurricanes, im in florida, and a a/c tech came in and fixed the problem within minutes. Due to that being over 6 months ago, I dont remember the exact steps he told us to do if this ever happens again. I do remember him saying to turn the a/c unit off (we are using central air btw), open the panel on the a/c unit, turn the heater on and let it blow for a few minutes and feel one of the cables or coils to see if it gets cold. After that I dont remember what else we are suppose to do. (When the a/c is on the cable or coil is warm/hot, when the heater is on it gets cold, the coil that is). We do have a hot water heater and I think they are connected somehow because I live in an condo so there is no where for me to go outside and look at anything. The hot water heater is made by Whirlpool and the a/c unit is made by FHP Energy System? Please help. Thanks in advance.

Old 07-07-05, 06:07 AM
tyr8971
Visiting Guest
Angry

I feel your pain. I have been having ac problems for almost 2 weeks. Maintenance has been to my apartment several times and they just can't get it right. They have fixed the leaks and recharged the unit with freon and warm out continues to blow. It actually feels better outside than it does in my apartment. I am ready to call in a professional and take the bill to my rental office.

Old 07-07-05, 09:24 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

If you cant get to your unit and get more info for us .Id say call a hvac tech to check it out. From what you say he said I THINK you have a heatpump why down here I dont know not worth it. About the only thing you can do is, the air filter clean and the inside coil clean ????

ED

Old 07-07-05, 12:32 PM
PhilaLogan
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Ed Imeduc
If you cant get to your unit and get more info for us .Id say call a hvac tech to check it out. From what you say he said I THINK you have a heatpump why down here I dont know not worth it. About the only thing you can do is, the air filter clean and the inside coil clean ????

ED
Now ok. Its the drain line that is clogged. I do have access to the unit, it is in my utility closet. Not the actual machine that has the blower. Please asst.

Old 07-07-05, 12:56 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

BLow or suck the drain line out with a shop vac. make sure you clean the trap on it.

Now ok. Its the drain line that is clogged.
I dont see what this has to do with no cool like you said

ED

Old 07-07-05, 04:37 PM
H
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
"I dont see what this has to do with no cool like you said"
I don't either.

Old 01-25-09, 05:14 PM
S
Sounds like you might have a float switch installed on your unit. A clogged drainline will cause that safety switch to break 24 volts to condensing unit part of your water to air, FHP. If you have a clean out installed in line with your drainline be sure to add a 1/2 cup of bleach each month, not only will that keep your drain free of sludge it will keep it sanitary.

Old 01-27-09, 02:39 AM
M
that was also my problem before.....you can always call tech support from the expert on that matter.......reading some very informative blogs about it can probably help you solve some problems as well....try searching for air conditioning repair in google or yahoo.....it helps a lot

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: