chattering contacter

Old 07-07-05, 12:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Talking chattering contactor

Hello,
I have a 4 ton Goodman system which i installed last year. From the begining it has had a very hard start, but it has done a pretty good job of cooling.Last year near the end of the cooling season it burned out the contactor, which i replaced, but it seemed the new contactor chattered at times. At the start of the season i had Sears come out for a checkup and the technition told me i was not gettin 24 volts to the contacter, and i should replace the control boards in the air handler. I did that, but i'm still getting the chatter from time to time.
Any idears for me?
Longj

Last edited by longj; 07-14-05 at 10:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-05, 02:06 PM
You may have a faulty printed circuit board that serves as a delayed start for the compressor.

Old 07-07-05, 02:50 PM
Question Done that

Thanks for idea, but i've already replaced the primary and secoundary panels as suggested by the man i mentioned above. While it doesn't chatter as much, it does chatter.
longj

Old 07-07-05, 03:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Contactor chatter

Thin low voltage wire can cause a voltage drop. All low voltage wires should be at least 18 gauge. Is this A/C only or is the indoor coil on a furnace? If on a furnace, the transformer might be too light. If A/C only & you are supplied by 208 volts instead of 230, check the wiring on the transformer. Almost all come set up for 230 volt supply.

Old 07-13-05, 03:00 PM
chattering contactor

Thanks for your ideas.
Mu low voltage wire is 18 gauge and it's under 50 ft. I'm receiving 230V ti and out of the contactor. And it is a ain only system. Since i've replaced the controle panels, i'm wondering about the thermostat.
What is the difference between a Single Stage Cooling and Two Stage Cooling. A comment in Goodman's manual says t "power robbing" thermostat will not work in some situations.
Any thoughts?
longj

Old 07-13-05, 03:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Power Robbing

A power robbing or power stealing thermostat is one in which the clock, etc. in the thermostat is powered by the system rather than by batteries. A single stage cooling thermostat only has one "Y" terminal & a two stage has "Y-1" & "Y-2". The "Y-2" would be to bring on a second compressor or change to high speed on a two speed compressor.

Old 07-14-05, 09:26 AM
Talking success

Just wanted to say thanks. Your input was helpful. I had been having the problem from the installation. I did most of the work myself and hired a contractor to make the finale connections. Apparently the air handler is used in differently applications, such as Heat Pump.It seems the Pro missed the note on the wiring diagram that says, for single stage cooling the Y1 terminal should not be used. The Y Y2 terminal should be instead.
After i made the change, BINGO, i got 24 volts going to the contactor.
Ring one up for DIY.
Thanks again
longj