HELP PLEASE condensation pan issue

Old 07-13-05, 07:20 PM
sclouthier
Visiting Guest
HELP PLEASE condensation pan issue

I recently purchased a new house and have been living in it for almost four months in texas. the weather has been hot all these months and the AC became a problem only recently.

I am having a large build up of water in the condensation pan. The water is dripping off the unit at a good clip. I had the 1 year home warranty "experts" out and they determined that the drain pan line was blocked, blew it out and then said that it was a problem with the installation of the drain line not dropping 1/8" to allow for gravity to drain the pan.

Curious thing is that if this were the case the drain pan would have clogged during the previous six years the house has existed when condensation has dripped. Of course this company is in the business of not paying claims so it makes sense that they would fault someone else.

My issue is is that the real problem is why the condensation is leaking so heavily (2-3 gallons in one and a half days) that it continually shuts off the ac to my upstairs.

Any thoughts

Steve

Old 07-14-05, 04:46 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You should have a primary drain that runs to a gutter or outdoors in the garden or the like. Then you should have a secondary drain that should drain into the pan.

If you go to wherever the primary drain exits the house try sucking it out with a wet/vac several times.

It's not out of the ordinary to get that much condensation in this weather.

Old 07-14-05, 05:59 AM
sclouthier
Visiting Guest
Other thoughts

I believe this is the main drain pain that runs to the outside of the house. It has to make about a 25 foot run to the outside of the house. The Home Warranty Service person already said that he blew out the line when he was here. If that is true, why is it filling up again. Again, this has never been a problem before and this house has existed through five hot and humid texas summers. Thank you for your thoughts, what would your thoughts be given this new information.

Steve

Old 07-14-05, 06:16 AM
T
sclouthier

Has anyone mentioned that you need a condensate pump?

Old 07-14-05, 06:39 AM
The pan that is filling up. Is it a large metal pan under your unit? In a attic unit you should have 2 drains. One will come right out of the airhandler and go outside and the other will come out of the airhandler and dump into the secondary drain pan. Then there will either be a safety switch in there or another drain line that should dump out over a window or on to the porch so you'll know there's a problem.

I still say you need to shop-vac it out good from where it exits the house and if there's a air vent on the drain near the trap plug it up before you vac it out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: