A/C not cooling house down

Old 07-16-05, 10:43 PM
Minderr
Visiting Guest
A/C not cooling house down

Hello there-
Just wondering if our air conditioner is working properly. When it is really hot, 108 today, our a/c stays on constantly and can't reach the set temp of 79 (not to mention cooler). The house does feel cool, especially compared to outside, it stayed at 81 most of the later part of the day; now at 9:30, 91 outside the temp inside is 80. Our house is 1900 sq. ft. one story, the unit is a newer (2000) Carrier Weather Maker. Off hand I don't know much else about it but I do believe it is a fairly good size unit for the size of our house. It seems like other friends in the area can make their houses cooler if they want during the heat wave. Thanks for any comments.

Old 07-16-05, 10:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 39 Upvotes on 37 Posts
Design temperatures

Without knowing for what temperatures, outdoors & indoors, the system was designed for, I can't say if the system is sized for the load or not. There are many factors which come into play when sizing a heating or cooling system other than just temperature & size of the house. I suggest you call a local pro to have a look. In the mean time, try getting the temperature of the air going into & comming out of the A/C vents.

Old 07-17-05, 11:16 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
As said by Grady, need more information to better help you with your problem.

Old 07-17-05, 11:40 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Minderr

What size is your AC condensor? (can be found on dataplate)
Is the large copper coil wet and cold and small coil warm?

Has your home always been difficult to cool or more so this heating system?

When was last time unit was serviced-condensing unit cleaned, evaporator coil cleaned, air filter changed regularly?

The cooling load for residential homes takes into consideration many factors. Unless it is discussed in advance, a unit is usually sized for the average high temperature for your area in the summer months, not for extreme high temperatures.

What is the temperature at your supply vent registers? You can measure this with an inexpensive digital thermometer that can be purchased at a local hardware store or an HD/Lowes.

It may be a freon issue.
Post back.Sorry for your problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: