AC turn on but the outside is off

Old 07-19-05, 10:46 AM
bluetear
Visiting Guest
AC turn on but the outside is off

This morning i went to check something so i turn the power switch on the AC unit. when i switch it back on and turn on the AC from the temperature changing . You can feel light air blowing in but the the fan/ac unit < the fan is not moving>so what i did is reset the power from the OUTside the blower would turn on but once i turn off from temperature changing and switch back on the outside blower is turn of again. what wrong?
i notice the cooling is the same like before.

Old 07-19-05, 12:59 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Could have a bad t-stat, also check your t-stat wires going to the outside unit.

Old 07-21-05, 08:13 AM
GeorgiaJim
Visiting Guest
Could also be the power cable blocking the fan

Another thing to check for this situation is that the power cable for the fan on the outside unit has not come off its clipped position (usually clipped to the underside of the top grill, clear of the fan) and has drooped to the point where it is blocking the fan's rotation. The clips are often plastic, and deteriorate in the sun. This happened to one of my units about 10 years after installation.

If it is blocking it, use a heavy duty (pref. UV resistant) plastic tie to re-strap the cable up and out of the way. Be sure the unit is off (at the breaker switch) before you start grabbing that cable, so the fan doesn't start spinning when you do... You can do the whole process through the grill, using some tools to pull things up.

Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: