Blower noise in carrier a/c and furnace

Old 07-19-05, 03:09 PM
Jerry Sheahan
Visiting Guest
Blower noise in carrier a/c and furnace

The other day the furnace blower started making a strange noise. It is hard to describe but it is almost sounds like the blower is hitting something. I pulled out the blower/motor and took it apart. I removed the blower from the motor and cleaned it. There was nothing loose inside and no signs of any rubbing. When I turn on the blower when it is outside of the furnace it makes the noise briefly as the motor is spinning up and then stops. When I reinstall it the noise is constant. I have tried adjusting the blower from side to side within the housing with no success. The motor does not appear to have eccessive wear in the bearings (the unit is 8 yrs old). An A/C contractor could not determine the cause and suggested replacing the motor and blower.

Can a blower wheel fail and cause this kind of noise? Nothing appears loose on it, but when I press on the wheel when attached to the motor it make a slight creaking noise. Please help!

Old 07-19-05, 07:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Noisy Blower

Yes, a blower wheel can fail & cause exactly the sound you describe. I replace a couple of blower wheels a year for this problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: