Window AC turns on but doesn't cool

Old 07-20-05, 12:42 PM
rmandel
Visiting Guest
Window AC turns on but doesn't cool

My window AC (Quasar) turns on, the fan runs and after 10 secs or so you can hear the compressor start up and can feel cool air. After another 20 or 30 seconds, the compressor shuts off and and the air being pushed in by the fan feels warmer. The room never cools off. I tried metering the two sides of the thermostat with an ohm-meter which seems to indicate no resistance through the thermostat.
Any suggestions as to possible problems and what to do. The AC is about 10 years old, so I don't think it is worth having it repaired but I am open to all suggestions.
Thanks,
Richard

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-05, 07:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well it's not worth fixing being it's 10 years old but if it never was cleaned then it might be a good time to do it, remove it from the window, wrap the motor with plastic, mix bleach and water (50-50) and spray the coils inside and out, let sit for 10 mins. or so, then take the water hose to it and flush it real good, be careful not to bend the fins, don't use a spray nozzel because you will damage the coils, let it dry some, put it back in the window and see if it cools, if it never was cleaned than you have a chance that you can get it to cool again.