using cased coil to replace uncased coil

Old 07-22-05, 12:13 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
using cased coil to replace uncased coil

What is involved in cutting away some of the old plenum and using a cased coil? I thought I would just "slip in" an uncased coil into the same spot as the old Acoil, but was told that using the cased coil would be better. The old one slides into the front of the plenum and sits atop a sheet metal shelf on top of the funace and seems OK, and to use the cased coil seems like uneccesary work, but maybe it's worth it?

I could get lucky and the case would sit just right on top of my carrier furnace, but knowing my luck, I'd have a severed hand and laryngitis. I'm real handy, but always held great respect for a good sheetmetal man, especially if transitioning sizes is needed.

One issue is the accessability of the coil to annually clean it--is it easy with a cased?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-05, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Votes on 32 Posts
mitchella,

There are a few different styles of cased coils so it would be hard to say which would be easier to service.
If you talk to your installer he/she would be best to advise on the equipment they offer.

In a previous post you asked about doing an a/c install yourself and must know we do not provide information to do this because of the certification requirement.

Previous post.

Old 07-22-05, 08:14 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I've followed this forum for a long time, and accept the limitations. But I've always seen wonderful help for mechanical/electrical troubleshooting and advice. I fully plan on my technician doing the final hookup/charge and so on after he OK's my mechanicals. He thinks it is better to use an uncased coil because that's what's in there now, and it would be a slip it out/in rather than reconstruction. I agree, but always learn the most by asking questions and receiveing various opinions. The market seems to sell mostly cased coils explaining that you can just remove the coil. No biggie.