A/C condensor stops at 90 degrees

Old 07-26-05, 03:16 PM
Jeff555
Visiting Guest
A/C condensor stops at 90 degrees

Odd Problem. Our Kenmore Central Air Conditioning systems works fine until the outside temperature rises above 89 degrees and then the condensor fan shuts off and warm air blows from the registers. Once the outside temperature drops to 85 degrees, the outside unit turns back on and the inside registers blow cold air.
Sears cannot seem to duplicate the problem since it takes forever to get an appointment for them to come out and when they have the temperature has been less than 89 degrees.
Sears has already replaced the capicator outside and this did not fix the problem.
Could it be the bimetal switch inside my attic unit? Could the system be overful of coolant?

I need help?

Old 07-26-05, 04:23 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I would 1st suggest that you give the outdoor unit a good cleaning. Turn off the power to the condensor and the stat. Remove the top and hose it out good from the inside out.

Old 07-26-05, 07:28 PM
How old is the unit?

That's one thing I don't like about Sears.. It takes FOREVER to get service. I'd dump them and get a local dealer who can get out there right away.

Unless the system is new??

The whole system shuts down? (fan and compressor)

Old 07-27-05, 09:42 AM
Jeff555
Visiting Guest
Unit is 6 years old. The Sears Tech. today said the problem (4 visits I might add from Sears) is a relay(switch) that, I guess, regulates the fan motor in the condensor from spinning slower or faster???--some type of high speed switch.

The tech removed the switch and plugged everything back together, without the switch, while they order me a new switch and fan motor.

So far the condensor has not turned off and it is 93.5 degrees and still blowing cool air. First time this cooling season it has worked past 89 degrees.

Old 07-27-05, 11:48 AM
Good deal. Must be a 2 stage fan in the condensor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: