AC cold but not cooling the house????

Old 07-26-05, 05:46 PM
murray101
Visiting Guest
Question AC cold but not cooling the house????(read all the threads)

Help, last night my Ac stopped blowing cold air. The compressor fan was running but not the compressor. Upon further inspection I replaced the run Cap. and the hard start kit this morning. Everything was working fine until this afternoon. The AC was running and seemed to be blowing cold but the house was not getting any colder (nor hotter). Any ideas? Thanks for your help.

Last edited by murray101; 07-26-05 at 06:09 PM. Reason: better title
Old 07-26-05, 06:51 PM
lee58387
Visiting Guest
have similar problem after changing capacitor, except that my house cools but takes really long.

Old 07-26-05, 07:00 PM
murray101
Visiting Guest
Did anyone give any ideas as to why that was? It was about 94 here this afternoon and the AC ran for an hour and a half at 79; it didn't get any hotter but it didn't cool down either. I've not had this problem before.

Old 07-26-05, 07:36 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The capacitor will have no effect on how long it takes to cool the house. It is more likely that you had the unit turned off during the hottest day of the year and then turned it on and it struggled to catch up. I would suspect that in a day or two, everything will be back to normal. Keep that humidity out of the house and maintain a steady reasonable temp all day and night to maximize the efficiency of the system.

Ken

Old 07-26-05, 10:28 PM
DNT1
Visiting Guest
The only way a capacitor could affect cooling ability would be if someone installed the wrong MicroFarad capacitor the capacitor equalizes the phase of the compressor windings and the wrong one can slow a compressor down and eventually burn it up. As k man said though, once a structure is heat soaked it will take at least 24 hrs to stabilize allow more time. Did you use the exact match for the old capacitor when you changed it out?

Old 07-27-05, 09:06 AM
murray101
Visiting Guest
Yes, I did use the same the capacitor. I live in Texas so the mid 90s were certainly not the hottest day of the year. We've had a cool front today (88) so its hard to say how well the unit is working today.

I guess I wondering if a dirty or partially frozen A-coil might have caused the hard start kit to go out. Thought perhaps that was why the AC seemed to work well intially but after running all afternoon it was just keeping up. Thanks

Old 07-27-05, 09:19 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

murray101
I guess I wondering if a dirty or partially frozen A-coil might have caused the hard start kit to go out.
You dont say just what you had . Is the coil clean?? Is the filter clean??? Or could you be low on freon and have the frost there in the coil??

ED

Old 07-27-05, 09:29 AM
murray101
Visiting Guest
The Acoil was replaced 2 years ago (before I bought the house). The filter is clean. I have not checked the Acoil as it looks to quite a proceedure to get it open. Didnt know if a partially frozen Acoil might have an effect on the hard start capacitor (blown but it was pretty old).

Old 07-27-05, 09:37 AM
Wink

Didnt know if a partially frozen Acoil might have an effect on the hard start capacitor (blown but it was pretty old).
Is the big copper line at the outdoor unit cold and wet???? filter ok ?? if all good Id check the unit out with a amprobe and see how hard the start up in the compressor is.

ED

Old 07-27-05, 09:42 AM
murray101
Visiting Guest
Yes the line is cold and wet. I don't understand what you mean about the hard starter. I just replaced it two days ago along with the start capacitor.

Old 07-27-05, 09:54 AM
Wink

In the field we have lets say small start kits to like help out a little. Then for a real hard start compressor there is a full start kit you can put on it. A amprobe would tell you if or what you might need or if everything is ok here

ED

Old 07-27-05, 10:07 AM
murray101
Visiting Guest
The hard start kit I just replaced was the same as the old one. The compressor is now working. Again I was just curious if a frozen Acoil might have caused problems with the hard starter. Thanks for your input.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: