hard start kit burned out

Old 08-04-05, 05:01 PM
lisamew
Visiting Guest
hard start kit burned out

I had a hard start kit installed last year. It burned out. Is this unusual or is it an indication of a bigger problem?

Also, they charged me $125 for the part, + $85 for a service call. This seemed
to be much more than I paid last year. I did question it, but was told that was the price. Today, I found that I can get a top of the line start kit for $20-$30.

I'm very pleased with the service, the tech found the problem right away. But, I'm concerned about a 500% markup in the price of the part. It makes me wonder what I'd have to pay for an expensive part. Does that markup seem reasonable? I have recommended the company to several neighbors, but
this makes me wonder about the company.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-05, 07:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Prices

I too, find the price high but you may be dealing with a flat rate company. In flat rate pricing, you pay a fixed price for the part, installed, regardless of how long it takes, plus a service call or diagnostic fee. Sometimes the consumer gets the better end of the bargain if it takes the servicer longer than normal to replace the part. In a time & materials billing system, the customer pays for the part plus whatever amount of time it takes to install it.
I do suggest you call the company & discuss it with them.

Old 08-08-05, 04:05 PM
lisamew
Visiting Guest
burned out start kit

Grady (or anyone else that might have an opinion):

Do I needs to be concerned about the 1st hard start kit burning out? It's only a year old. Last year I had the run/start capictor replaced, then a start kit added. This year, I had the terminal wires replaced when they did the tune-up at the end of April. Then, they replaced the hard start kit last wk. It's a 12-13 year old 2 ton, 10 SEER Lenox. It seems to run great now (knock on wood).

Does it sound like the compressor's running on borrowed time?

Also, do hard start kits add a delay? I have a delay on my downstairs system, but not on the upstairs unit which has the start kit.

Thanks,
Lisa

Old 08-08-05, 05:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

I have a delay on my downstairs system, but not on the upstairs unit which has the start kit.
Just could be that if they both try and start at the same time this could draw down volts on the start kit for the top floor. Might be the top floor unit could use a big full start kit on it. Id say amp it out and see.

ED