New LG Window Unit Questions

Old 08-07-05, 09:17 AM
jaums1
Visiting Guest
New LG Window Unit Questions

1. There is no adjustment for up & down cool air flow--it's basically straight out across the top above the intake. Sure wish it was adjustable to aim it up, which would do 2 things: better distribution in the room and not so much cool air being sucked right back in the intake, which may be contributing to short cycling. Anyone ever done a modification to aim the cool air up? It's all molded plastic, with side to side baffles inside.

2. "Dry" mode. What does that do? No info on what it does or how in the documentation.

Thanks!

Jaums

Old 08-07-05, 11:44 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
dry mode

thats what it means computerised dehumidification system . as far as changeing air you can always make something wont look nice but it will work

Old 08-09-05, 07:19 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I would try to adapt a clear heat vent and place it under the fan.

Old 08-10-05, 06:16 PM
mixdenny
Visiting Guest
1. If you are handy with sheet metal a deflector is easy to make. I had the same situation with a window unit. I made 1" metal vanes out of thin aluminum, as wide as the plastic ones, and cut and bent several tabs in the new vanes. They slipped over the plastic vanes, and a slight bend aimed the air upward. Quite a difference and they blend in just fine.

2. Inexpensive window units don't have fancy computer controlled dehumidification modes. The "dry" mode just pre-selects the most favorable methods of operating from the available choices. (1) It switches to slow fan speed to maximixe the time the air spends on the coil to remove moisture, and (2) sets "economy mode", where the fan shuts off when the compressor isn't running. This pervents the air from circulating over the wet evaporator coil and putting moisture right back into the room.

Dennis

Old 08-12-05, 05:37 PM
jaums
Visiting Guest
Thanks!

As a test I covered the bottom air exit slot with transparent tape and folding the tape lengthwise, fashioned rough deflectors for each of the other slots. It much improves the air flow into the room and doesn't show unless you get close. I am now curious to try to find a real way to do it and I'm not handy with sheet metal! Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: