Ice on A/C lines, fan blowing, but no air

Old 08-07-05, 01:38 PM
Ice on A/C lines, fan blowing, but no air

I noticed it getting warm in the house, even though the A/C has been running. I put my hand over the register, and nothing seemed to be coming out. I pulled the cover off of the fan, and the fan is definitely running. Went out to the compressor, and it and the line out were covered in ice. I hosed the ice of, cleaned the coils, and turned the A/C back on. Still nothing. Went into the attic, all of the ducts seem sealed. Went back outside, and the ice had returned. Any suggestions? Could there be a blockage between the fan and the ducts?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-05, 03:16 PM
Your coil inside maybe frosted over w/ ice, and the air don't go though ice..

Turn off the system before damage to your system.

Check your filter to make sure that's clean.

make sure the returns are free and clear, and also supply vents. Poor air flow may cause the coil to freeze..

if all good, then call the Pro, you maybe low on charge.

Old 08-07-05, 03:20 PM
If you have ice on the line outside then you indoor coil is frozen solid. Turn the a/c off, remove the filter and just run the fan in the on position for a few hours. After the coil is thawed completly replace the filter with a new one and try the a/c again.

Old 08-07-05, 06:03 PM
Thanks guys. That's what I did; ran the fan with no a/c for about an hour (about all we can take in TX @ 98deg/ 80%humid), everything seemed to be thawed (watched the cond drain) so I cranked it back up, everything seems to be back to normal so far (about 4 hrs). The inside coils (evaporater?) must have iced solid; the drain poured water pretty good for about 20 minutes! I did change the filter, pretty bad for only 2 months... Could that have been the culprit?

Old 08-07-05, 07:43 PM
DNT1
Visiting Guest
Yeah filters can easily cause the freeze up problem, especially the high merv (high pressure drop) filters. You probably have undersized filter face area and a pleated high resistance filter stuck in there huh? Need at least 200 sg in of filter face per ton you might want to check to see what you have, if you are undersized buy and use the disposable blue fiberglass filters untill you can have another return installed.

Old 08-13-05, 10:08 AM
dcdomain
Visiting Guest
Sorry about jumping in on your thread, but I think I may be having the same problems. Early in the summer, the AC would work but as the weeks went by we noticed that though we felt air being blown into the house, it was no longer AC. So we called a technician and he ended up putting in some more refigerant.

However a month goes by and the same problem comes back. I then noticed that there was ice on the tubes outside of the house leading to the unit, and the rest of the tube was pretty moist as well. I've read that the tube should be moist and wet, but the ice shouldn't be forming.

My question is, is this a filter problem as gotdurt had or if I need to look into replacing the tubes.

Old 08-13-05, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by dcdomain
Sorry about jumping in on your thread, but I think I may be having the same problems. Early in the summer, the AC would work but as the weeks went by we noticed that though we felt air being blown into the house, it was no longer AC. So we called a technician and he ended up putting in some more refigerant.

However a month goes by and the same problem comes back. I then noticed that there was ice on the tubes outside of the house leading to the unit, and the rest of the tube was pretty moist as well. I've read that the tube should be moist and wet, but the ice shouldn't be forming.

My question is, is this a filter problem as gotdurt had or if I need to look into replacing the tubes.
Better have someone do a leak check...

Old 08-13-05, 12:19 PM
dcdomain
Visiting Guest
Ah yes, my local utility mentioned that, said it would cost up to $700 to do a leak check, and that if I wanted I should have someone else do that and then have my local utility come and repair it (since I'm covered under a worry free contract).

I took a look in the basement, I'm guessing the leak check would be relegated to the furnace and the exterior unit itself. Since it looks like I've run low on the refrigerant, I might just get my local utility to top it off again tomorrow and then see if I can find a contractor to check for the leak.

Would the area where the ice builds up be the source of the leak? Or is that wishful thinking?

Old 08-13-05, 01:36 PM
Now that YOu've asked about the filter, YES the filter may cause the ice up..

Is your filter clean????

What type of filter is it?

Old 08-14-05, 05:39 AM
dcdomain
Visiting Guest
I just checked the filter, clean as a whistle. Definitely a leak. Going to swap out the entire system since finding the leak could cost upwards to a $1000 anyway. System is over a decade old so I'm sure the benefits of installing a more efficient system now would pay itself back.