Ruud or Ducane?

Old 08-08-05, 06:52 AM
sabrefan2000
Visiting Guest
Ruud or Ducane?

As part of our house addition project we are having central air/heat installed. Have one estimate from outside contracter (an HVAC company) for a Ducane 12 SEER unit. And the other is from our builder, who is planning to install a Ruud UPKA Series heat pump with a UBHK series air handler with a 10.6 SEER.

thoughts on either brand?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-05, 08:08 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If installed correctly either will do fine. In my opinion I would lean toward the contractor with the Ducane. Builders tend to cut corners.

Old 08-08-05, 10:49 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
sabrefan2000

I agree with Matt-at least on one point. If builder has no objection, I would prefer to do business with an experienced,well established HVAC dealer. Here is where I have a different view though. I am not wild about either of these brands. But having said that, 10 SEER was top of the line over 10 yrs ago. Now it is on the bottom. I simply don't like budget/builder models with low operating efficiencies, especially on new homes where you might be there awhile. I would take a look at heat pump systems with at least 13-14 rated SEER for AC and at least 9 HSPF for heat. Make certain it is sized correctly both equipment and ductwork. You may want to also consider the best warranty on a complete system when making your decision.

My opinion.
Good Luck!