Condensate Water Dripping from AC Unit

Old 08-08-05, 10:01 PM
profiler71
Visiting Guest
Angry Condensate Water Dripping from AC Unit

Hi All, This is my first post...sorry...I have a Tempstar that is leaking water from the ductwork in the basement - have read through the site and have tried to use a vac to unplug the drain - no success, still getting leak. Any suggestions pls?

Thanks

Old 08-09-05, 03:54 AM
james curry
Visiting Guest
you can install a 3/4 t fitting in the condensation line, probably should have one there for maintance anyways, some units come with them some dont , installer should have done it just to make things easier. Anyways what i do is tape a water hose to the tee fittingwith duct tape and plug the hole on the other side going into the unit or drain pan, and flush the algae and dirt out to the yard by the condenser, that has always worked really good for me.Hopefully thats all that is wrong with it , just a clogged line

Old 08-09-05, 02:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Condensate

Is the condensate just dripping from near the coil or is the ductwork sweating? If the duct is sweating, you need to insulate it & maybe run a dehumidifer in the basement.

Old 08-09-05, 09:29 PM
profiler71
Visiting Guest
It seems to be leaking from the around the unit itself and also where the duct work joins the unit - I can actually hear it dripping! - There is no hose coming from the condensate pipe.....

Old 08-10-05, 04:08 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is anything coming out at the end of the condensate line where it dumps??? Sounds like you just need to clean it out better. Sometimes you have to cut it up closer to the unit and suck it out. Then add an access so you can pour a little bleach down it every now and then to keep the trap clean.

If this dont help check and make sure your coil and filter are clean. Otherwise the condensate drain pan may be cracked.

Old 08-10-05, 08:41 PM
M
Hi all,
I have a similar problem.
My air handler in the attic is dripping water into the over flow pan.
I replaced the filters both in the air handler and the return grid in the ceiling, and it still leaks.
I also tried brushing the little bit of dirt that was on the surface of the coil, and washed the main drain line. Still no go.
I ran the unit with the cover off and it looks like the water drops arent traveling down the slope to get to the drain pan. at midpoint they fall straight down to the chasis. maybe this is because the cover was off and not enough air flow was traveking through the coil.

Any thoughts??

Thanks in advance.
Mike

Old 08-11-05, 04:16 AM
Mike

Get that coil as clean as possible, shop-vac the drain out good and get rid of one of the two filters. You only want 1 filter in line or you are going to cause restrictions on the airflow.

Old 08-11-05, 05:15 PM
M
Mattison,

I shop-vaced the drain and still it is dripping into the over flow pan.
As for the double filters, it has been running like this for the last 6 yrs, and I never had any problems.
I can try removing the one in the return grid, as a test.
Let me know if you can think of something else...

Thanks
Mike

Old 08-11-05, 06:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Condensate leak

You need to gain access to the primary pan to determine if it is overflowing or leaking. If overflowing, there has to be a clog. If leaking, the primary pan has to be replaced. Having a secondary pan, I have to presume this is a horizontal installation, correct?

Old 08-12-05, 08:58 AM
M
Originally Posted by Grady
You need to gain access to the primary pan to determine if it is overflowing or leaking. If overflowing, there has to be a clog. If leaking, the primary pan has to be replaced. Having a secondary pan, I have to presume this is a horizontal installation, correct?
Yes it is horizontal, and up in the attic.

Old 08-12-05, 05:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Primary pan

In the case of a horizontal, the primary pan shoud be easy to get to by removing panels on the air handler. Is there a trap in the drain line? If so make sure there is a vent tee downstream of the trap & none (or a capped one) between the air handler & the trap.

Old 08-14-05, 07:17 AM
M
Grady,
Can you describe this vent tee you are talking about?
Right now the air handler goes directly to a preformed trap (pipe that has been heated and bent) and then from there it goes to a union to connect to the PVC pipe going outside. I take the union apart to get to the pipe or to remove the pan out of the air handler.
Is this tee you are talking about just a plain PVC tee with the mid-section pointing upward towards the roof?
Does it have any pipe connected to its mid-point?
Is it really needed?

Thanks,
Mike

Old 08-15-05, 06:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Vent Tee

Mike, yes it is an ordinary PVC tee with the branch pointed up. It is important because the line can fill with water & not having a vent it will often not drain properly. You should install a piece of pipe (PVC) into the branch at least high enough to get above the drain pan. This also provides a convenient place to add bleach to help deep the drain clear of slime. If you have room, a second tee between the unit & the trap is nice too. NOTE: This one between the pan & the trap must be kept capped except for service. An ordinary PVC cap (not glued) works well.

Old 08-16-05, 05:39 PM
M
Grady,
Thanks for your help.
I will pick up the tee the next time I am at H.D.

Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: