A/C not cooling.. block of ice forming

Old 08-17-05, 09:27 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question A/C not cooling.. block of ice forming

The A/C unit located on the outside of the house ( connected to the force blower heating system inside) ..is not cooling. It's running but not cooling.. There is a block of ice that has formed on the tubes (header I think).. this is the tube that leves the A/C and goes into the house. What cause this... how do I fix it.. or is it just a matter of letting it thaw then turning back on the A/C ..need help.. it's 100 degrees in the shade! can anyone help?

Old 08-17-05, 09:50 AM
E
Are both the compressor and fan (both in the outdoor unit) running? Are you getting good airflow through the registers? Filter clean?

Old 08-17-05, 09:54 AM
P
A/C not working and Ice is forming

Originally Posted by eclipse
Are both the compressor and fan (both in the outdoor unit) running? Are you getting good airflow through the registers? Filter clean?
Yes the compresson and fan are running.. I changed the filters.. and it should be getting good airflow...I have truned the unit off waiting for the ice to melt.

Old 08-20-05, 03:42 AM
Ramrod48
Visiting Guest
Hello : I think whats going on is that your evaporater fins are plugged up not allowing enough air flow over them. You need to turn off your systen , an throw the breakers , get some coil cleaner from Home Depot, remove what ever covers you need to to get access to the evap. chances are you are going to find it covered with dirt an krud, spray it down with the Liquid AC coil cleaner , an let it sit a few minutes . If the system is really bad you might have to do this several times , If you can get a hose to it to flush it out the coils great. Do you have access to a wet vaccum, An or a small portable air compresser to blow out the coils ---Please use caution an use a very low setting of pressure so you dont damage the coils.,,, Also with your unit running like it is now. your elect. bill will be a killer as it never turns off .We have 2 long hair dogs, An have to due this once a year.Once the unit has dried off , you can use a aux. fan to help speed this process up, put your panels back on an fire it up . On the outside compresser take water hose an flush the fins out , remove the blower guard an clean out all the leaves that have built up inside them( MAKE SURE POWER IS OFF )give it a few minutes to dry an turn it on

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: