Air conditioner fan continues to run inside after compressor shuts off

Old 08-21-05, 04:20 AM
Frobinson
Visiting Guest
Air conditioner fan continues to run inside after compressor shuts off

I have a Heil unit that has the complete unit outside. Last night the compressor would shut off normal but the fan inside continues to run. After running an hour or so the compressor would not come back on. I shut off the system at the thermostat and waited ten minutes. I then turned it on and after a few minutes the fan and compressor came back on. I set the thermostat and wnet to bed. The unit ran all night. This morning when I pushed the thermostat back up the outside compressor cut off but the fan continued to run. After waiting 30 minutes, I shut off the system at the thermostat again. Before I call a repair man, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas. I know nothing about A/C. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-05, 06:02 AM
jaums
Visiting Guest
Fan Constant On

Is there a FAN switch? Most have an 'auto' position in which the inside fan goes on and off along with the compressor as directed by the thermostadt and an 'on' position in which the inside fan runs continuously. [The idea being the moving air inside keeps temperatures more evenly distributed and you more comfortable at a higher temperature, what with the air moving around a bit.] But, in the "on' position the compressor should cycle on and off as directed by the thermostadt.

Old 08-21-05, 05:16 PM
Frobinson
Visiting Guest
Fan is set to auto. The compressor runs for 40 minutes and then cuts off outside but the fan continues to run. If I turn the unit off at the thermostat and wait about 5 minutes then the compressor starts up again. I checked the outside unit to ensure the water is draining and it is. The unit cools fine but only runs for 40 minutes and never comes on again automatically.

Old 08-21-05, 05:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Contactor?

From what you have said, I suspect you have a bad contactor or other relay in the unit.

Old 08-21-05, 05:39 PM
Frobinson
Visiting Guest
Thanks, I will call a service tech in the morining. How much would something you suggest cost these days.

Old 08-21-05, 06:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Parts cost

If it is just a relay or the contactor, I would expect parts to be well under $50. This certainly does not count labor. If a circut board is involved, I don't know how much it would be. Boards vary widely in price.

Old 08-22-05, 01:44 PM
Frobinson
Visiting Guest
My technician just left and he says the TXV valve is bad causing the compressor to overheat. The compressor shuts off when the overheat condition is detected. If you run the hose over the compressor for a few minutes it cuts back on. My question is does this makes sense. He needs to recover, evacuate, and recharge the system when the TXV is replaced. The TXV part alone is $156. Can anyone confirm this? I don't want to have to keep paying to fix the AC.

Thanks