adding A/C to home w/ gas furnace heating

Old 08-28-05, 11:32 PM
llsmith
Visiting Guest
Question adding A/C to home w/ gas furnace heating

I recently moved into a 45 year old home in So. California that has no A/C. The heat is from a gas furnace placed in the attic (Rheems). The home is a little over 1500 sq. ft. and has excellent insulation. I would like to add A/C to the home, however I have never dealt with this, and I want to be sure that any quotes I get are realistic and reasonable. What would be the easiest and least expensive way to add A/C to this home? Thank you

Old 08-29-05, 04:10 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Since you have and airhandler in the attic you would add it to the existing airhandler. Just be sure and have them evaluate the duct size since it may be undersized if a/c was not considered upon initial install.

Old 08-29-05, 05:08 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
llsmith

How old is existing furnace?

If not too old, I would look at a Rheem AC condensor with matching evaporator coil-min 13 SEER. Unit should be sized depending upon a Manual J heat/cool load calculation that correctly sizes new HVAC equipment(I would expect a minimum 2 1/2 ton unit-possibly 3 ton). Like Matt says, have your ductwork inspected as far as size, condition, insulation, etc. Moving cool conditioned air has its own special hurdles.

Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: