ac humming

Old 09-15-05, 06:04 AM
qtip
Visiting Guest
ac humming

here is my problem. air in house is hot. Went outside and unit has a low humming sound. Blade does not turn. Any advise?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-05, 12:09 PM
DNT1
Visiting Guest
A lot of units use a dual capacitor which controls both the condensor fan and compressor if niether the fan nor compressor is running when the thermostat is calling for cooling and unit is producing a humming sound it is likely the capacitor, replace it and report back.

Old 09-15-05, 06:59 PM
qtip
Visiting Guest
a friend came by and we checked unit. We took panel off and pushed a switch and unit started. he said the problem is relay switch. Is this the same thing as a capacitor? Also cannot find name of unit. All it says is, SUPER HIGH EFFICIENCY 7000. On inside it says by INTER-CITY PRODUCTS? HELP!!!!

Old 09-15-05, 08:06 PM
DNT1
Visiting Guest
Well if it was the contactor that he pushed and the unit came on, it is technically a electromechanical relay does it look like this? http://toad.net/~jsmeenen/contactor.html

Old 09-18-05, 05:46 PM
Sambolino
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Fan problems with outside unit

I'm encountering similar problems. When the system calls for cooling, the outside unit 'hums' and the fan blades don't spin. If I start the blades spinning, all is well and the unit operates just fine. So, I'm guessing it's not the fan motor but the 'switch' that starts the fan motor. Is this a capacitor issue?

Old 09-18-05, 07:43 PM
DNT1
Visiting Guest
Big S yours sounds like a capacitor problem check out this site for some capacitor info might help you locate yours http://www.yorkcapacitor.com/products-motor%20run.html

Old 09-19-05, 05:14 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
qtip

You need to get a voltage reading on the control side of the contactor to verify whether or not you have 24 volts present.

Old 09-19-05, 06:21 AM
Sambolino
Visiting Guest
Start vs. run

Thanks DNT1 and mattison! I'm expecting (when I open up the unit) to find a bulging capacitor. Since I can get the unit cooling by manually turning the fan blades (before the compressor cuts off), is this a 'start' cap issue?

Old 09-20-05, 05:25 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sambo,

Your problem indeed sounds like a capacitor. Make sure you turn off the power to the unit before getting in there and dischage the capacitor by shorting across its terminals with a well insulated screwdriver before touching it.