Carrier A/C Fan noise in air handler

Old 09-28-05, 06:11 PM
secapps51
Visiting Guest
Carrier A/C Fan noise in air handler

We just had our a/c serviced 30 days ago, and soon after the service the air handler in the attic started making a rumbling noise, and it got louder as time went on, mostly vibrating down the rafter. I have put a shim under one spot that seemed like it was not tight, and that helped for a while but in time it gets louder.

A person on another forum said the fan might be off balance from something getting on it. I took the two bolts off the circular unit that hold the fan, but it didn't come open and I was afraid to force it.

The noise does seem to be in this unit that holds the fan. Anyone know if it is easy to get into this, and is it safe. I do turn off the electricity when I look in it. If it is just dirt or something on the fan I would like to try to check it out before paying another service fee, just to have them blow off the dirt.

It is carrier series 38 heat pump/ac. Thanks, Susie

Last edited by secapps51; 10-01-05 at 01:32 PM.
Old 09-30-05, 02:44 PM
H
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
calm down

if it was anything to do with the service call it would have made the noise the same day... It's like going to the doctor for a check up, everything is OK and then you choke on a chiken bone!!! I saw on TV they said physicals are a waste of money and rarely find anything wrong(sponsored by the insurance companies of course because they don't like having to pay for them. But when they do, they can save your life. I've done scheduled PM's before and found loose wiring, burnt wiring, compressors about to die, filters 100% plugged,...ect. This saves the customer the big money and reduces wasted power consumption. If you have a company that has done you right in the past, count your blessings, read some of these posts and you'll see what I mean

Old 10-01-05, 09:20 AM
secapps51
Visiting Guest
I think it did start very shortly after the service. Even the next day, but as I said I got distracted with Doctor visits, then one thing after another and before you know it the month is gone and the noise is louder.

I know it is my mistake not to call them right away, but part of me said oh no, another service call, until some people on another board said I should have called because maybe something got on the fan and got it out of balance. I have no clue, so I am only going by what others say.

I am attempting to see if someone can help me access the fan to see it before I call again. If I can't see anything then I will just have to break down and call again. I have learned my lesson.

We haven't needed a lot of service on this unit over the years, so the only contact we have had is for usual yearly work, and once in a while a small part replaced.

Old 10-02-05, 11:05 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

yes turn the power off the take the blower door off on the unit that will let you get to the blower and check it,

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: