Noisy Condenser Fan Motor

Old 10-04-05, 07:55 PM
Gene1s
Visiting Guest
Noisy Condenser Fan Motor

Dear HVAC guru's,

I believe that the bearings are shot in the fan because of constant rattling sounds. The fan spins freely, but I am able to slide the shaft up and down. Unless there is something else I should check out, I plan to replace it before my neighbor does. He has many guns.....

I will also replace the top grill that the motor is attached to since it is getting quite rusted. Is there any special balancing issues when I re-mount the motor and then re-install the fan blade to the motor?

any other advice would be appreciated in my quest to bring peace back to my neighborhood.

Thank you for your help,

Gene

Old 10-04-05, 08:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you sure the rattling noises are coming from the fan motor?? Usually a fan motor will start screeching a high pitch noise when they are going out.

As for the top grill just clean it good and paint it, you wont find a new replacement.

Old 10-04-05, 08:15 PM
Gene1s
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your feedback Mattison,

I just went outside to give another listen. It sounds like a prop-plane, as if it were running out of gas; the sound goes in and out. That's the best I can discribe.

What other posibilities could you imagine?

Thanks

Old 10-05-05, 04:55 AM
Bent or cracked fan blades maybe. Don't rule out the motor all together, just don't sound right frome the description.

Old 10-05-05, 06:33 PM
Gene1s
Visiting Guest
I re-checked the fan blades and the looked okay. I noticed that there is a lot of play in the shaft, I am able to push and pull it up and down a good 1/4 inch. The model is an Emerson 1/3 hp out of a ComfortMaker

When I replace the motor and re-attach the fan blade, is there any special balancing considerations?

Thanks again,

Gene

Old 10-06-05, 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by Gene1s
When I replace the motor and re-attach the fan blade, is there any special balancing considerations?

Gene
No. Just be sure and get the blade at the same heighth it is in the shroud now.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: