Outside AC Condenser Freezing Up

Old 10-11-05, 02:08 PM
texasjess
Visiting Guest
Outside AC Condenser Freezing Up

I am moving and I agreed to fix the AC, but after getting a tech to clean the outside coils and adding freon, he noticed that my downstair's unit condenser is freezing up. We checked filters (they are clean and good ones) and he thought it was the florator, but that wasn't it. Could it be the evaporator coils on the inside unit? He first looked and thought it wasnt dirty enough, but nothing else has fixed the problem. Any ideas? Should I pay to replace the evaporator coils or just clean them?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-05, 05:51 PM
Freezing caused by

-Poor air flow.. Is the vents/return open/free, and not blocked?
-Low on charge.. Did they check the system's charge?
-Blower running slow.... Is it clean??
-duct work ok?
-Temp too low.. What's the outdoor temps, indoor temps?

Old 10-12-05, 04:01 AM
A dirty coil will cause freeze up along with what Jay posted. Also may I ask you mention "good filters" what type are they?? Those high merv electrostic hepa filters can restrict airflow by themselves.

Old 10-12-05, 05:56 AM
Your post mentions the condenser (outside unit) is freezing up. I have a few questions:
1.) Is the evaporator coil (inside coil) freezing up?
2.) What exactly is freezing on the outside unit? Are the coils on the ouside unit freezing? Or just the suction line (the larger copper pipe from the wall to the outside unit? Or the smaller copper tube from the outside unit to the wall?
3.) I'm assuming this is not a heat pump. Correct?

Old 10-12-05, 07:10 AM
texasjess
Visiting Guest
The outside condenser container..

In reply, the outside condenser container itself is freezing up, and the filters are high quality, but we removed them and ran the AC just to see if that would unrestrict the air flow (it didn't). The airflow is restricted on the "suction side". We are thinking of changing out the inside unit evaporater coils. Does that help?

Old 10-12-05, 09:58 AM
I assume when you say container, you mean compressor. The compressor sits just below the fan (usually), in the middle of the consensing unit. It has pipes and wires attached to it. If this is the case then your suction line is freezing up. In your typical freeze-up, the evaporator would be covered in ice thereby blocking airflow. The ice will then slowly make its way all to the compressor. In severe cases, the compressor becomes a ball of ice. The posts by Mattison and Jay11j apply to this situation.

I just wanted to rule out a liquid line restriction.

Old 10-12-05, 11:54 AM
texasjess
Visiting Guest
yes, that is what it is doing. What is the fix?

Old 10-12-05, 12:41 PM
In most cases freeze-up is due to low freon and/or poor air flow as mentioned by others. Your tech needs to make sure air flow is correct (blockages in ducts, dirty blower wheel, blower speed, etc). If the evaporator coil is dirty, it should be cleaned. This may not be easy on some systems and may require complete removal. I realize you said the coil "wasn't dirty enough", but did you actually see it? If the system is in fact low on freon, the leak needs to be found.

Other possibilities include mismatched condenser and evaporator. Did it just start doing this or has this always been a problem?

Your tech needs to check suction pressure, temperature and superheat.

Last edited by jim-connor; 10-12-05 at 01:47 PM.
Old 10-12-05, 07:22 PM
texasjess
Visiting Guest
Can I get by with just cleaning the evaparator caoils or do I have to replace it? It will have to be taken out to clean right?

Old 10-12-05, 08:29 PM
Yes, I'd have someone else out for 2nd opinion and see if they find something else before replacing the coil.. Yes the coil can be removed and cleaned... Be best for the dealer to do that.

Old 10-14-05, 12:14 PM
Wink

Was compressor every changed out ? Do you have a drier on the suction line? You dont say does the coil inside freeze
also. Is the TXV valve or orifice Ok here. ???

lots of ifs here.

ED