Carrier or Trane?

Old 10-17-05, 04:24 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Carrier , Trane, American Standards?

Hey, newbie here, first post.

I live in CT and looking to install a central AC for my 1,800 sf colonial home.
I got a couple quotes:

1. Sears, (contractor) installing a Carrier 38TSA (14SEER) system and its air handler, this one running for about $8,200

2. Home Depot, (contractor) installing a Trane 14XLi 14SEER system, this one running for about $7,500

The duct work is already done, I had this finished 4 years ago by another company when the house was built. 10 vents in total, all duct going to attic, so air handler will be installed in the attic.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by geek; 10-21-05 at 08:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-05, 05:07 PM
GEEK

I am absolutely opposed to purchasing HVAC equipment from a big box store like Sears or HD. It unneccessarily interjects a 3rd party into a purchase agreement plus you will definitely pay more.

As far as equipment, Trane and Carrier are fine. I do recommend a var speed air handler. How do you heat your home?

My opinion.
Good LucK!

Old 10-17-05, 05:56 PM
Wink

Me too get 3 bids for any job like this. Look in the phone book and see what a Trane company shop there will do it for.

ED

Old 10-18-05, 05:54 AM
Originally Posted by TigerDunes
GEEK

I am absolutely opposed to purchasing HVAC equipment from a big box store like Sears or HD. It unneccessarily interjects a 3rd party into a purchase agreement plus you will definitely pay more.

As far as equipment, Trane and Carrier are fine. I do recommend a var speed air handler. How do you heat your home?

My opinion.
Good LucK!
I thought about it, but a couple notes:
1. When I called Home Depot, they actually sent a local contractor (Trane authorized) to my house for the estimate, he is the actual owner and seemed very knowledgeable and looked that they've been in the business for a very long time (family business). Also, the proposal quote seems very professional explaining that they will
- install volume dampers for each supply (what is exactly this? a manual
control to the air flow?)
- Air handler and ductwork to be suspended off floor
- he said a 3.0 ton trane unit will most like do the job, however he will re-measure everything and do the "math" before installing the unit if I decided to sign the contract.

2. Sears sent a Sears employee, sales guy that has been working for Sears for 2 years. He gave me his quote before he left my house on a written sheet of paper and said that Sears will hire a contractor to do the job.
- he recommended a 3.5 ton Carrier unit
- told me I don't need to install equip. off floor in the attic as it is very quiet and there'll be no vibrations, plus they install the air handler on a base (rubber??) that will prevent any vibration, etc, etc.
- I feel kind of incline with Sears as I already have their credit card. I don't have the HD card yet (not a biggie though as I can get it quick I guess)
- the Sears quote will get lower as they offer me $500 off the final price

3. Lastly, the reason I would like to finish and install the central AC now is because the local electric company (CL&P) has a $350 rebate by the end of this year for 13 and 14 SEER systems. I am guessing but think this offer will not be available next year.

4. I called a 3rd local contractor (Trane auth.) and their quote for the Trane 14XLi is almost $13,000....yikes...
Again, thanks much to the knowledgeable people here, I really appreciate your feedback.

BTW - I heat my home using baseboard hot water so I'm all set with heat.

Old 10-18-05, 06:19 AM
GEEK

Am I correct that you live in Southeast-perhaps in the Carolinas? If so, I would look at a high eff heat pump for the mild winter and only use baseboard hot water heat for those extra cold days. You will be doing yourself a disservice if you don't investigate this and run the numbers. I think you will be surprised.Ask your Trane dealer-they make very good heat pumps! Make certain you receive a Manual J heat/cool load calc in writing!

I stand by my statement on the big box stores. Why pay more?

My opinion.
Good LucK!

Old 10-18-05, 06:24 AM
Originally Posted by TigerDunes
GEEK

Am I correct that you live in Southeast-perhaps in the Carolinas? If so, I would look at a high eff heat pump for the mild winter and only use baseboard hot water heat for those extra cold days. You will be doing yourself a disservice if you don't investigate this and run the numbers. I think you will be surprised.Ask your Trane dealer-they make very good heat pumps! Make certain you receive a Manual J heat/cool load calc in writing!

I stand by my statement on the big box stores. Why pay more?

My opinion.
Good LucK!

Well, I live in Connecticut and because I already have heat, I don't really want to look into a heat pump as this will increase the cost of the central AC, unless this is something you get automatically when you get the Trane 14XLi.

Old 10-18-05, 07:11 AM
GEEK

Sorry, my error. I thought you lived in the South. CPL(CLP) stands for Carolina Power and Light. One suggestion. Since/if you intend to put in AC in the fall, make certain dealer will stand behind system when you start it up next spring/summer. Good Luck on your new install.

Old 10-18-05, 07:57 AM
You can go with whoever you feel will do a good job and stands behind it.

I went with Home Depot for our home.. Why? They were the only one who offer 1 year no intrest on the card as long it's paid off in a year.. We needed a furnace right away since we just brought the house, and old one died on us.

What other work are they going to do? Install air handler? linesets?

-The air damper is to help balance out the air flow in the rooms.. That is good thing to have.. If you have one room that too cool, you can close the damper down to let less air into that room.

-Air handler should be mounted up.. That way the drip pan can be under the unit, and be quiet.

Sounds like the HD contractor knows what's he doing.

Old 10-18-05, 08:55 AM
Jay,

Thanks for the info.
When I had the ductwork done 4 years ago, I also asked the contractor to install the lineset (2 coils?) and a PVC line coming from the attic all the way to the basement, this way no holes needed to be made thru the walls..
So whomever install the system will have to hookup the lines to the air handler in the attic, and also bring the lines from the basement to outside for the condenser.

So, in summary,

- they will install air handler and ductwork hookups in the attic,
- the condenser unit outside extending and connecting the existing linesets from the basements to the outside unit.
- electrical work I already have the hookups in the breaker box (had this done when the house was built). There're 2 breakers labeled: "Air Handler" and the 2nd "Compressor unit"

I see you went with HD, any experience you can provide? Did you also get Trane?

Any feedbacks appreciated...thanks...

Old 10-18-05, 01:15 PM
Yes, I went with Home Depot.. I work there as well, and I couldn't turn down the promo that was going on... Rebate from Trane, 1 year no intrest or payment on HD card.

I made contact by web page to set up for a bid. Why I did the web? I just wanted to be low key so the dealer didn't know I worked for HD, and knowing I used to be in the field..

A lady from HD called the next day, and letting me know they got my info from on line, and will let a dealer know. Dealer called me a few hours later and setting up a date and time.. I told them i was off the next day.. he came out and looked things over, and got a bid made.

I called a few other company and got bid from them as well. HD bid was with in range of the other dealers I got bids for..

We were going to wait till later to do the job knowing we still had time with the rebate and other promo going on.

A few weeks later, our old furnace decided to die.. I called the dealer that evening, and he said he can come out in a few days.. I told him to wait a week.. I wanted to pull the old furnace out to paint the floor and walls before the new one went in.

They came out a week later, and the installer did a great job.. VERY clean and I must say, he did a much better job than the guys from the company I used to work for.

It took him two days.. First day for the furance, and ductwork.. 2nd day hook up a/c. and system start up, haul away old stuff. he coudln't start up the A/C since it was cool out.

About 3 weeks later, I got a follow up call from Home Depot themself and survey the job. I gave them thumbs up! Then I got a survey in the mail from Trane. again, good reviews.

City inspector came and checked the job, and he said they done a good job on all the jobs he has checked out.

System ran great all winter..

In the spring, got a reminder call from HD that they will come back out to start up the a/c. I set up a date, and they came a few days later to start up.

System I got.

Trane XV90 80k Furnace
Trane XR11 2 ton A/C
Honeywell Vision Pro TH8320
Honeywell F200 media air cleaner

Old 10-21-05, 08:05 PM
I am now considering an American Standards system.
I was told this is basically Trane, same manufacturer and very good reputation for their product, and cheaper??

I have a local American Standards contractor coming to my house for an estimate this Monday, will post any experiences...

If you guys can post about this brand, any will be welcomed...

Old 10-21-05, 09:27 PM
American Standard owns Trane, and they used Trane design.

They are both great system.. If I didn't do the Home Depot, I'd maybe look at A/S.

Old 04-22-06, 02:00 PM
I'm back....and again looking..!!

Well,

Hi again guys, I never really got the central AC done...long story...

Once again I'm shopping around and have a local contractor, lisenced but not NATE certified (would this really matter??)

He's telling me he can install many diff. brands such as Heil, Goodman, Rheem, Tappan, etc. and that he's auth. dealer for TempStar.

The local electric company is only offering a $300 rebate if I get a 15 SEER system...
They also told me that I qualify for $100 rebate if the contractor performs a Digital Comissioning, I will ask the contractor but I doubt he will have this equipment....do all PROs carry this equipment, meaning that if a contractor doesn't have it means that most likely he's not a pro ???

Lastly, this guy that just came up to my house has been in the business for 20 years doing heating/colling, so he says.

He will price me a 14seer TempStar and variable speed air handler.
I need comments on TempStar please.

Old 04-22-06, 07:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 11 Votes on 10 Posts
A/C in CT

Honestly, I think you are wasting your money going with 14 SEER. If I could find some left over 10 or 12 SEER, that's what I would use. Don't worry about the NATE certification. All it says is the guy took the time to pass a test. There are just as many NATE certified hacks as non certified hacks. Check with friends, neighbors, relatives, etc., about whom they have had do similar work & how well satisfied they were. Word of mouth is the best advertising a company can get.
There is nothing wrong with Tempstar equipment nor anything else out there. Equipment is only 10% of the job. Installation is 90%.