Compressor Resistance Readings

Old 11-08-05, 12:06 PM
safko2000
Visiting Guest
Compressor Resistance Readings

I understand that once you remove the wires from the compressor and take an ohmmeter to the compressor terminals you should get an open circuit between any terminal and the compressor housing but what about between the run, start, and common terminals. Literature I have read says zero ohms indicates a short in the windings but I am measuring 1-2 ohms between these terminals. I understand you should be reading some resistance but what are the acceptable amounts to distinguish normal from shorted windings?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-05, 07:03 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You need a good digital meter and use the lowest range. Your lowest reading is between the "C" and "R" terminals, a few ohms (give or take) is about right. Your next reading between "C" and "S" should be a little bit higher than the previous. Your highest reading will be between the "S" and "R" terminals and will be the total of the first two readings. Keep in mind that all these readings should show very low resistance, but not zero. You should never have any measurable resistance (should be infinite) between any terminal and the compressor housing. Use the higher resistance range on your meter to detect grounded windings.

This method is good for detecting grounded or open windings and windings that are suspect (resistance too high). However, each make, model and size compressor will yield somewhat different values.

Last edited by jim-connor; 11-09-05 at 10:41 AM.