Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Air Conditioning and Cooling Systems
Reload this Page >

A Humidistat wired in conjunction with the AC Thermostat or not? Future Trouble?

A Humidistat wired in conjunction with the AC Thermostat or not? Future Trouble?

Old 01-15-06, 05:23 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hello, I am new to this Air Conditioning Forum and looking for any advise that anyone can give me on the following issue.

We are in south Florida in a Manufactured Home Community. We occupy our "Homes of Merit" for six months a year from November to April.

For the times we are absent I have been told that I should have a Humidistat installed in conjunction with the existing Thermostat that controls the Heating & Air Conditioning.

However others say that doing this is not a wise thing to do. Those that do have this humidistat installed when absent for the six months of hot Florida summer set the Air Conditioning at 85 F & the Humidistat at 70 or less.
The theory being that this will control the humidity better than using the Air Conditioning alone.

I think the group that recommend using the Air Conditioning alone say this is a wiser choice because adding the humidistat adds a degree of complexity that could cause problems if one or the other fails. I am in a quandary whether or not to do this?

We have a Professional check the house on a regular interval & after major storms or hurricanes, tropical storms, etc.

Any advise on whether you think this humidistat wired in conjunction with the AC Thermostat is a wise idea or not would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...Ernie

Last edited by Ernie Fearon; 01-15-06 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-17-06, 02:49 PM
jhig1961
Visiting Guest
humidistats work well and are very simple but like anything mechanical they can fail or get stuck on. If you are having the house checked reguarly there should'nt be a problem. 82 is a good temp 85 sounds a little warm, and set the humidistat to 60

Old 01-17-06, 05:23 PM
S
What are you trying to do? Keep the humidity down while you are gone? Why?

I would say the best method to do this, provided this is what you are trying to do, would be get a standalone dehumidifier and pipe it into a drain under the sink or something.

Might also turn you circulating fan on, or get a programable thermostat the has the circulate option to run the fan every once in a while.

Just my two cents.

Old 01-17-06, 08:23 PM
E
Originally Posted by shank
What are you trying to do? Keep the humidity down while you are gone? Why?

I would say the best method to do this, provided this is what you are trying to do, would be get a standalone dehumidifier and pipe it into a drain under the sink or something.

Might also turn you circulating fan on, or get a programable thermostat the has the circulate option to run the fan every once in a while.

Just my two cents.
The purpose of the humidistat is to keep the humidity low enough in the house to stop any growth of mold. Running a standalone dehumidifier is one answer but a very expensive one.
The neighbors in the park here leaving their A/C at 85 for the summer months result in $12.00 power bills.
Anyway thanks for your replies.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: