Outdoor AC unit stays on even with open contactor

Old 04-15-06, 06:25 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Outdoor AC unit stays on even with open contactor

Help.
Ran AC for 1st time this year. Outdoor unit when I woke up was iced up as indoor unit had stopped. I had to pull the breaker to get it to stop. Contactor is not stuck shut, it is open. When I put breaker back in, unit outside immediately starts. Thermostat disconnected. What would be causing the unit to start with the contactor open?

Old 04-16-06, 08:04 AM
H
After further investigation, I noticed i have 2 orange wires going to the compressor. 1 goes to the bottom of the contactor, 1 to the top. If i disconnect bottom orange, unit operates normal(tstat controls it, doesnt run always as before). I put the orange with the other orange at the top of the contactor. Works fine. Any ideas?

Old 04-16-06, 03:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Condensing unit stays on

Usually inside the wiring cover is a wiring diagram. If you can find it, trace the wires & make sure they are the same as the diagram. If they are & the unit still stays on, the contactor points could be welded together.

Old 04-17-06, 07:25 AM
H
When you say welded together, I'm lost. The contactor is open, thus the points are not even being touched.

Old 04-17-06, 11:56 AM
J
Was anyone recently working on the unit? Sounds like it's miswired.

Old 04-20-06, 08:40 PM
DNT1
Visiting Guest
sounds fairly strange, is that a double or single pole contactor your unit utilizes?? I would not run the unit if you suspect that the compressor is miswired. Take a real close look at that wiring diagram.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: