Window Unit - Copper line not cold or wet.

Old 04-23-06, 07:06 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Window Unit - Copper line not cold or wet.

Bought a window unit 1 year ago.It worked great last year but has yet to do the job this year. The filter and everything else looks clean. It runs great but just doesn't cool. I was thinking it needed freon but wasn't sure. The copper lines aren't getting cold and there is no condensation build up. Sounds like I might have a leak. What should I look for.

Old 04-24-06, 05:04 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
When you have the cover/filter off, do you see any small frost? If you do it's a sign it maybe low on charge. Depends on your warranity, you may not or maybe able to get fix. If not, then not worth trying. May cost more than a new unit wouild cost.

Old 04-24-06, 09:46 AM
DNT1
Visiting Guest
the key is to determine if the little compressor/condensor fan and blower motor are running. If the little compressor is pumping and little condensor fan is pulling air thru the condensor and the blower is moving air thru the evaporator and you still get no cooling you probably have a internal refrigerant problem and is non certified user repairable (JUNK) If the compressor is not running it could be a bad start capacitor or thermostat which either one would be a cheap repair so first determine if the little compressor is doing its thing. note: be careful placing your hand on the compressor, if running it will produce a bit of heat and could burn your hand. Also note that some of the more expensive units may be heat pumps and have a reversing valve and other more complicated controls along with safety switches etc. Does your unit heat and cool?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: