How long it is required to vacum the AC system?

Old 04-23-06, 08:34 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How long it is required to vacum the AC system?

I have called a PRO to fix my AC. I want to make sure he vacum the sytem well before he add freon. How long is the minimum time required to vacum the AC system to make sure there is no moisture in the system?

Old 04-24-06, 03:49 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
tome,

Time has nothing to do with properly evacuating a system.
There needs to be a micron guage attached to the system along with the vacuum pump.
The range of time it takes can run from minutes to many hours depending on the moisture level and capacity of vacuum pump or never if there is a pinhole leak in the system.

Just ask if he will use a micron guage and what level he will evacuate to.
If he doesn't use one you may have called the wrong guy.

Old 04-24-06, 04:05 AM
Greg is 100% correct.

Old 04-24-06, 10:12 AM
DNT1
Visiting Guest
After acheiving under 1000 microns ten to fifteen minutes is usually more than sufficent for residential units. If your service man does a good job he will install a new filter drier in line and anything the vaumm does not pull should be caught by that device. Questions are OK if in limited quantities. Keep in mind that this time of year he probably has ten more calls he is trying to get to this afternoon.

Last edited by majakdragon; 04-26-06 at 01:05 PM.
Old 04-24-06, 08:27 PM
B
tips?

tome, matt and greg are correct no doubt about it, as long as you have a good company . there are sometimes quick fixes in this
buisness, and as we can see sometimes questionable ones.
we are here to help,

barry

Last edited by majakdragon; 04-26-06 at 01:07 PM.
Old 04-24-06, 09:03 PM
DNT1
Visiting Guest
This is a DIY forum. Why dont you explain to ole DNT exactly what your gripe is
Question 1. Are you saying that a 1000 micron or less vacumm for a residential unit for ten or fifteen minutes is not enough? (might want to bone up on pressure temps of water boiling points) http://www.robinair.com/acsolutions/...m/acvacuum.php
Question 2. Are you saying that a inline filter drier should not be used?
Question 3. Do you think the homeowner really took the tip joke thing serious, give these people a little credit, they do have a brain lol

Moderator note: Removed unnecessary comments that did not help the original poster.

Last edited by majakdragon; 04-26-06 at 01:03 PM.
Old 04-26-06, 12:10 PM
T
thank you guys.

Last edited by tome; 04-26-06 at 04:39 PM.
Old 04-26-06, 01:10 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Moderator note: Parts of a couple posts have been edited out. What was a joke (per members response) ended up taking the content of the post away from the original posters question and starting an antagonistic stance. Please keep it on track.

Old 04-26-06, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
Tome,

You were right to question your technician.
A pro would not mind the questions and should be able to explain what they are doing.
You have to be carefull though. Even a pro could be insulted if you don't aproach him/her in the right way.

It would not be fair to suggest all residential airconditioner installers are not pros because of not using a micron guage.
I know of several who don't and have a good reputation with their clients.
These guys are not strong on the technical side but are good at looking after their customers because of their ethics.
You obviously had an unethical one...............Don't loose any sleep over loosing this one.

Micron guages are an indespensible tool not only in being able to judge moisture level but also ensuring a leak free system.
I think though that when I hear you ask about sight glasses and service valves I believe you are overthinking this whole subject waaaay too much.

My suggestion is to spend your time searching for a reputable service company rather than worrying about the intimate details of the job.
To start specifying components will surely build a wall between you and the most understanding tech.
All you really want is a reliable system and a company that will stand behind their work if things go wrong.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: