A/C Unit replacement - need some input plz!!

Old 04-25-06, 06:43 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A/C Unit replacement - need some input plz!!

hello everyone...

i leave in broward counter Florida... i have a 3 ton 12seer reem a/c unit from 1993 on a 1800sq ft. house with vaulted ceilings.
the issue is that my a/c works all the time with out stopping. i like to set the a/c at 72* at night. If by any chance I forget to set the a/c back up to 82*-85*, by the time I get home the line and a/c compressor will be frozen. I keep my filter cleaned, I clean it every two weeks to make sure the filter is not dirty.
I have had three different companies check the coils and a/c unit, they have told me the same thing, that the coils are cleaned and more than likely I need a new and bigger system.
I had a company stop by yesterday to give me an estimate, they offer a 14seer 3.5 ton American Standard unit and handler for $4000, that includes a $450 rebate from FPL. I have never heard of America Standard a/c units… can someone tell me how this unit compares to a Trane (not sure of spelling) or a Reem or any other brand?

Thanks in advanced.

Old 04-25-06, 07:42 AM
With your coil freezing up, it can be a few things.

-Duct maybe undersized.

-Not enough return.

-Dirty coil (you had it checked and it's fine)

-Blower maybe stopping on your in mid day.

-System maybe undercharged.

-Temp setting too low. (Not enough load)

I'd suggest that you set your temp and forget it. ideal is 76 to 78 degrees.

Americand Standard been around for awhile, they brought out Trane and now are using Trane's design on the equipement.

I like the Trane/American Standard lines, and also Rheem/Ruud.

if you have salty air in your area, go Trane/American Standard since they can take the salt air.

Old 04-25-06, 08:08 AM
P
thanks for the information...

i have had different tests done to the system and air ducts, they all check fine, three companies have not been able to find any issues with the system. the only thing i keep hearing is that my system is undersized to cool down my house.

they were telling me that the way they measure tons and size of the house is by 1 ton for 500sq ft. A 3 ton unit will be adequate for a 1500sq ft with 8 feet ceilings.. my house is 1800+ sq ft with vaulted ceilings at 12 feet on the highest part. So they claim that the system is over working to cool down the house. Not only that but the unit is 13 years old. When I set the a/c to either 72* or 80*, the system does not stop at all, it keeps running continuously… unless the temp of the house is cooler than the setting I set the a/c at.. which only happens when we get a mild or cold front in south florida, which is almost never.

I definitely want to up grade to a 3.5 ton new unit.. I am just not sure how American Standards was.. I was not sure if it was a bad or a good brand, so I wanted to hear some comments and comparisons before I make the commitment and drop $4000 on a unit that I wont be satisfied with.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: