No cooling, frozen at AC unit

Old 05-17-06, 09:20 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
No cooling, frozen at AC unit

Hi folks, I've just started using my AC this year, but it's not doing any cooling. I believe I have followed all the directions from the manual regarding spring setup. I have a Kenmore central air conditioning system that is just 2 years old, and worked well the previous years.

The thermostat is set to "Cool", and both the furnace motor and the external unit itself are blowing properly. But the air coming out of the vents is not cooled this time, just blown. After running the unit for 24 hours, the temperature in the house never changed (almost 90F), and thus the thermostat never switched it off.

When I go outside to look at the unit, it's not blowing hot air out of the top like it usually does when it is on. And when I look at the connection where the pipes go into the external unit, they are frozen (see photos).

The Kenmore Unit Itself

The Frozen Connector

I've called for them to come fix it under warranty, but they won't be here for almost a week. Can I just let the ice melt and then it should work? Can I pour warm water on the ice?

Any ideas? Thanks!
Greg

Old 05-17-06, 10:36 AM
Have you changed the air filter lately ??

A dirty filter or dirty indoor coil will cause a freeze up.

Other than those 2 you really need a tech to check it out.

Don't let it operate frozen. The easiest way to thaw it is to shut it off at the stat and just put the fan in the on position.

Old 05-17-06, 01:28 PM
M
Shut it down immediately before it damages itself and let it thaw normally. Do not pour water on it. Although I don't think it would do any harm, it certainly will not speed things up because the inside evaporator coils are similarly frozen. I'm surprised you are getting any anirflow out of your vents. Your fan must pull the air across the evaporator coils...

As Matt said, check the filters for obstructions and if all appears normal on a visual inspection you are likely just low on freon.

Old 05-20-06, 08:50 AM
G
So, I turned it off and let everything melt all day long (whew, warm!).

Then I bought a cheap new filter to stick in there in place of the permanent, washable one. The AC now works perfectly fine.

Since the permanent filter had just been cleaned, maybe it's just too clogged by now. Looks like I'll have to replace it.

Thanks folks!
Greg

Old 09-01-08, 06:45 PM
To the OP, I'd recommend using disposable filters all the time. Buy a good pleated one, mark a good reminder down, and simply toss and replace monthly or every so many months, depending on the type/size. I believe they usually filter better and you don't have to worry about freezing again.

To Richdog - If no air is flowing, your unit is freezing due to lack of airflow. For some reason your blower is not functioning.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: